Movember

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm surprised you lived long enough to be able to participate in this forum...

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the key to this survival thing is to keep in mind a couple of facts about the fairer sex. 1.) they always raise their eyebrows before they strike. 2.) they never make a fist, but they straighten out their hands before a strike, so they can slap with the full width of their hand 3.) the fairer sex, feels they have to wind their arm back, to get a big swing --- and they rarely hit like a man (straight on) they almost always go for the sweeping wide outstretched arm swing!!f
    and the moral of the story is ---- these 3 actions take a second or two off the reaction time of a woman, and give just enough time to dodge the swing!!! -- then you can usually interject something "sweet or sassy" enough such that they calm down and realize how un-womangly it is to take a pugilistic swing at someone for a truthful comment!!!
    I mean you can say --- "you look sexy when your a swinger!!" -- or "when you wind up, I thought you were going to fly", --- or "you want to take another swing at me, this time, you should double the fist, put your thumb inside your fingers and hit me as hard as you can -- and try not to break your thumb" -- they look at their hand, and say ---"gee, I never thought of that??" ALL OF THIS STUFF BREAKS THE TENSION!!! and usually ends up going swell for me --- wished all you blokes were as observant as KT here -- then you wouldn't have to ask silly questions like """"KT how did you survive this long?"""" ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Back to the 'stache. It has only been 3 days and I hate it. By coincidence I just purchase an Arturo CD, Arturo and The Latin Train. The CD cover shows he has same placement on his upper lip as I do; top half of the mouthpiece appears to be planted on his mustashe. Amazing to me how he does this and sound so incredible. I am missing my grip.

BrotherBACH

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I never did not have mine since I went through puberty. So I know no other way than to play with hair in the way.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    A full week in to Movember. I can play "OK" but I have lost that secure feeling and certain things are definately more difficult. I will post in a while to see if I can adapt better.

BrotherBACH

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    BB, I am 5 days into Movember with a 'stache and soul patch and surprisingly am having no trouble so far. I thought I would. My mo comes almost all the way down to my lip and same with the soul patch up, so the mpc is definitely resting on top. My hair lies very flat, though, and not very long now, so the seal is fine. It MAY become an issue when it gets thicker, I'll post. On a funny note, one of my high school students saw me yesterday and said,' You look like Freddie Mercury, it's a good look for you!' I was just happy he knew who Freddie was :) My wife, on the other hand, hates it. She said,' I'm trying, but I just can't do it.' Hahaha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Only one more day until I can shave the DAMN thing off. I have raised some good money for a great cause but it has been several weeks of challenging practice. I have litterally felt tiny air currents up my nose as air esacapes from my top lip. Well, if any want wants to donate, there is still a chance. I am the chap in the green hat.

Movember Canada - Team

BrotherBACH

8. leftmid7

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Mine is now approaching something akin to Sam Elliot in any number of Westerns. My wife says it comes off tomorrow. Had no problems playing trumpet as the mpc was under it, but it was a bit tougher with euphonium and trombone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Add a sombrero and you can play mariachi!! :D

10. leftmid7

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Ha Toby, I did get a lot of 'Mexican' comments. I guess I have skin tone and dark hair.

Viva La 'Stache! It is now gone and my wife is quite happy.