Movement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JLoyalist, Jun 24, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    SB, it seems to me, based on watching all kinds of upper level trumpet players, (certainly not me though - I would never put myself in that category) that some movement is acceptable, as long as it's not too much - it's excessive movement that's the real issue. I used to have a lot of movement, but somewhere along the line it kind of took care of itself and I don't move much at all anymore.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The judge said that the mistakes the op made were due to excessive facial movement. But the op got the best score? Of course we weren't there but I would get a second opinion before I started worrying about something that may or not be a problem.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If the excessive movement is causing mistakes I would tend to think that it's a problem.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It is all about playing efficiently. I have found the more that I can limit my movement the more efficient I am with all of my playing. Working in front of a mirror is extremely important and being very self disciplined in your practice and playing. For example if I have not played enough then movement can sneak back into my playing. However, if I am practicing diligently and paying attention to what I am doing then the movement is very limited and the outcomes are much better.

fraserhutch likes this.