moving 1st and 3rd slide..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Aug 30, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Technically speaking: I know D below the staff requires 3rd valve slide adjustment when playing. What other notes are technically expected to require 3rd or 1st valve adjustments when playing. And while we're at it, why have I seen many, if not most jazz trumpeters play without making any slide adjustments? Are they compensating with their lip? Is jazz just more forgiving when it comes to being in tune? Are they just not concerned about that specific perfection? Is it lazyness? I've seen many play with no slide rings on the horn at all!

crow

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    notes that can benefit from the slides (starting from the bottom):

low F#
    low G
    on some trumpets low A (1st slide)
    C#
    D
    on some trumpets E
    on some trumpets A (1st slide)
    on some trumpets 3rd space C# (1st slide)
    on some trumpets high A (1st slide)

Those some trumpets are newer Monettes, Yamahas and Schilkes from my experience. They have the first valve shorter than old models to make it perfectly in tune when used alone. Earlier models had a comprimised version a bit longer.

There are many players that do not place high value on the absolute most resonant sound for each tone. They have trained lipping up and down and have no intonation troubles whatsoever. If we were to compare long tones, the difference could be measurable in tone quality however!

Most of the time we are so involved in the music that the hardware becomes insignificant. That is the ultimate goal in my opinion.

Wynton Marsalis' new Monette Prana has no first slide ring. Dave Monette would not have built the horn if there was a MUSICAL comprimise.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Technically, any notes that use a valve combination are drifting sharp. It's just that some of them are so close to in tune that we often just skip kicking the slides out. You simply have to listen to the intonation as you play in an ensemble and tune them. Sometimes you might find you'll need to kick a slide out. Others you might just "lip it in."

Nick

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Rowuk and NickD are right -- playing in tune must be a part of your normal playing, to the point where it happens easily and quickly and becomes just how you play.

Listen, or better yet, practice with a tuner and see which notes on your horn need adjusting. There is no list which will be true for all trumpets. Each combination of player and trumpet is unique and will require unique adjustments.

Also remember that your adjustment, and indeed all intonation issues, are a constant and ongoing consideration which must be a regular part of your playing, so that you are constantly adjusting all notes to be in tune with your surrounding musicians and with yourself. You can't just tune the open C with a tuner and consider that your instrument is in tune. Listen to every note and adjust either with your lips or with your slides to get each note in tune.

5. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks to all. I feel better equiped to make adjustments.

crow