Moving a third valve slide ring?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Sep 17, 2014.

1. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I picked up a decent horn for my daughter to use in band... unfortunately the slide ring is so far out from the valves that she can't both hold the horn and use the ring at the same time... Has anyone ever had one of the rings that is attached to the slide like on the Bach Strad converted into something that allows for an adjustable ring.... Not wanting to have the horn trashed for something that she might eventually grow into, but if it isn't going to make the horn look like junk it might be worth it.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Should be painfully easy for a decent tech to do.

I purchased a Strad from a guy who had replaced the fixed ring with an adjustable one, and I didn't like it. I brought the horn to my tech and he replaced it with a fixed ring and did spot-lacquering in about 40 minutes.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it's a lacquered horn, just the slide can be redone after the mod. If it's a plated horn, same thing, but it will cost a bit more.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Are you sure she's going to grow into it? I started playing at age 11, and the only growing I did after that was to grow thinner! Unless she's super tiny, a change of grip might suffice - middle finger through the ring, ring finger and pinky supporting the weight underneath the third slide. I've used this grip for years with a lot of success - there's a lot more strength in the middle finger to throw out that slide! If not, you can change it to an adjustable ring, or simply move the existing fixed ring closer to the valve section.

5. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I've had her try every different grip I can come up with and none work, her hands just aren't big enough to grip the valves and still reach the ring. Sounds like I will be taking it to the repair shop.

Thank you everyone for your input... I'll just make sure to keep the old ring so it can be reattached later if her hands ever grow into it.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Are you sure she needs to be working the third valve slide at this stage in her development? I guess quite a few of my generation here played for a good few years with shuntless slides and didn't fare too badly.