Moving mini disc recordings to hard drive.

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by dizforprez, Jan 18, 2006.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I am new to the whole mini disc thing and am having trouble getting a recorded recital to my hard drive. I have lost the instruction manual and was hoping some one could guide me through the process here online. :?:

Thanks!

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Diz... the USB cord that came with your MD is only good for "downloading" from the computer to the MD. You'll need a 1/8-1/8 patch cord to "upload" into the "Line input" jack on the back of your soundcard. There should be some software already in the computer to record the infeed as a .wav file. If you have a Soundblaster card, then the "Creative" software does a really nice job of inputting and recording.

Once you've got the stuff in your computer there are a couple of shareware apps floating around that can convert to an mp3. When I was using a MD (still have it but don't use it now that I've got a Zen 20 gig) I could use the ROXIO Platinum software that I purchased and installed.

Edit: forgot...you plug the patch cord in where the earphones would go. You may have to crank the volume up. While you're uploading you can "monitor" through the computer speakers. You may have to go to "Sounds" in your "Control Panel" to enable the line in and disable the mic in. Make sure you pick the line in jack and not the mic jack on the soundcard.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    thanks toots,

so there is no way to do it in realplayer or wmp? I will give what you suggust a try once i get the cord I need.

thanks! :-)

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Dang. Sorry that isn't working for you Diz. I think Toots is right. It could be a cable issue. I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't go both ways, but I don't have one of the machines that you have. I am looking into a recorder that uses a "Flash" card for recording so it can then be downloaded to the computer for a burn to CD. There are some nifty toys out there for this kind of work. Anyway, good luck with getting it all straightened out. Hey, did you try finding a copy of the manual on the Sony site? A lot of electronic companies will make their manuals available on line.

BTW, I ordered that microphone you had to begin using with Smartmusic. Thanks for the tip. :-)

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I can't say if Winamp can do it... I don't use that program. I do have Realplayer but it is only used when I'm listening to an .ram file; my personal preference is either Windows Mediaplayer 10 or the Creative software (which has adjustment for speed of playback without changing frequency).

Minidisc preferred mic is the little, Sony stereo one that you can buy for about $60 US. If you are using a Sony MD you should put a patch cord between the mic and the recorder: Sony MD recorders have quite a high mechanical "noise level" (ie, you can hear the drive working and the head shuttling around on your recordings when the mic is plugged directly into the end of the unit). I used to use a Sharp MD which was virtually dead silent but it "kaaked out" on me (I think one of the kids dropped it) and Sharp no longer sell their MD's in Canada.

Yes, Alex... MDs are designed for high speed downloading only (at least all the ones I've come up against). For uploading you'll need to go "real time" through a patch cord. It's also a good idea to keep patch cords as short as possible... these things don't have much power to them to "punch through" a 20' extension! Quite a bit different from an mp3 player with it's "drag and drop" function in either direction.

I'm trying to get a reply from Creative on their Zen Touch mp3... according to one website you can get a remote control that also has a microphone input! (and the unit seems designed for remote control...the one I have for my Sony MD fits but doesn't do anything!) I'm really keen on trying that (recording with a mic) out to see if it works. I've now got 2,800 tracks loaded into mine (don't ask how much time I spent ripping my CDs!!!...and I'm not done yet!) and I still have 4+ gig left.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Older versions of MusicMatch can convert your .wav files to .mp3 format.

There are also utilities for splitting .wav files into separate files. I think the one I used was called WaveSplitter, but not sure.