Moving throat/adam's apple

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reraom, Oct 13, 2011.

1. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi everyone!
    I've been playing trumpet for a little over half a year now, and a month or two ago, I realized that when I switch from note to note(no matter slurring or tounguing, but more pronounced when tounguing)my throat or the adam's apple tend to move, my new teacher realized that also and she said she has no idea why that might be and she'd ask some of her colleagues. I thought that it could be because of the fact that I might be stopping the air flow with my throat, but I don't think I do, cause when I slurr I feel like the air flow is constant. When I go a little higher than the notes I usually play like say E between the fourth and fifth lines in the staff, I dont' really feel like there's tension in my throat, but it keeps moving in a strange way. Have you encountered any trumpet player who'd be doing this and do you have any idea why that might be?
    The reason I'm asking is because its very unusual I think, and since I'm still at this early stage of my playing it can be very detrimental to developing my skills later.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not unusual and not a problem.

Breathing is the biggest issue for beginners. If they are more than 2 or 3 years old, they inhale with too much body use and tension. A good teacher shows how a BIG, RELAXED breath works and makes sure that when going from inhale to play, no additional upperbody/neck tension occurs.

3. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok, that's good to hear.
    When it comes to breathing, I was really concerned about it when just starting to play, I even made myself a breathing tube to feel that big, relaxed breath. But I don't think it's an issue now.
    Thanks for the advice though! I'll talk to my teacher about breathing next lesson, just to make sure I do it 100 per cent correct.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Agree that breathing is one of the major problems for students. I've noted, and went through this myself many years ago as a young student, that I had trouble even hitting notes in the upper staff when my teacher pointed out that I was constricting my neck muscles and cutting off the air flow. No air flow-no notes. This usually is a result of excessive tension. I tell the students to relax and when they realize what they are doing it solves the problem.:D