MP Buzzing vs. Lead Pipe "playing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 24, 2012.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Ok, so I was reading a little about Bill Adams and he advocates Lead Pipe playing for a warm up (I'm assuming). What is the big difference between that and just buzzing the MP?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I tiny bit more resistance is what I've found. I use an old school B.E.R.P. on my mpc to get some resistance. I imagine the new B.E.R.P. would do the same. I know guys advocate LP playing, but where is the slide while you're doing this? In the case? On your chair? Stand? From a horn safety perspective, I leave my slides in as much as possible.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    A lead pipe is a tube that is long enough to already have some acoustic properties that will "promote" (for lack of better term) the vibration and may guide it toward certain frequencies (although with only the leadpipe, that will be pretty limited). In that sense it helps some. The MP alone gives no help at all, it's like whistling with the lips. It's fun to experiment with other lengths of tube as well: remove 1st valve slide, press the valve down and blow, see what happens. Repeat for 2nd and (more interesting IMO) 3rd valve.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The slides can be left in the case for the duration of the experiment Tobylou, it's OK,they'll be fine. If you're really anxious about it, perhaps a talk with Mr Daniels (Jack) before pipe buzzing will help, or ask Gary to prescribe you some Xanax...

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Actually on most of my horns, the top slide is shorter than the bottom so on my horns they're okay. I just leave them in the bottom. Not knowing what Trax is playing, I just threw that out there as precautionary advise.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Does lead pipe playing mean buzzing directly into the lead pipe (like I've seen Arturo do)? Or is it playing with just the mpc and the lead pipe, with the slide off? And in any case, what benefits would either provide that playing long tones with the full horn couldn't provide?

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I really like that question too! :) Supposedly there is a benefit from just buzzing the MP. All our music comes from the MP and the horn is just an amplifier (what I've been told). So working on the MP is beneficial, but......

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Buzzing a couple of octaves on the mouthpiece bears little resemblance to playing notes on the trumpet.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OOPS!! "Amplifier" is going to get you a ding (as it did me :-o ;-)). Some say there is no benefit as well as no buzz (??), you just blow into the mpc and it "happens". I have a friend who swears that he doesn't buzz at all when he plays (but he will free buzz! Go figure!). I am a strong advocate of mpc buzzing and playing, BUT ONLY WHEN IT ISN"T PRACTICAL TO PLAY THE HORN!!!! :D Some do, some don't, it's up to you. It works for me so I will do it.

10. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    So, what would be the purpose of just playing the lead pipe versus long tones? Just curious.