MP Buzzing vs. Lead Pipe "playing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 24, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As to your original question, there is no big difference.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is so true. I cannot play as high on the mpc because there is nothing to "fight back" when I'm playing.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Some days, I just know the chaos and hectic pace of life is going to overcome me and the only opportunity I will have for practice of any sort is buzzing on my mouthpiece driving to/from work. I usually focus on full long tones, progressing chromatically through some intervals, and using minimal pressure. I would never consider it a valid replacement for actual practice, but it is better than nothing.

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I don't know about that. Leaving them exposed to the atmosphere like that could promote the dreaded "red rot" (see prior paranoid rants about this particular scourge).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The sound of a trumpet is not an amplified mouthpiece sound. The buzz of the lips gets a "standing wave" started in the horn, somthing like blowing across the top of a pop bottle gets a note.

In fact, mouthpiece buzzing has little to do with trumpet playing EXCEPT that we use the same muscles and many seem to get loose when doing it. I always buzz a couple of notes on the mouthpiece first just to get the "feel" of my lips.

The problem is when we turn a specific part of playing into a religion. We are all different and the mouthpiece/leadpipe/B.E.R.P accomplish similar things. Try them and stick with the one that makes you feel better about your playing afterwards.

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks Rowuk, I knew I could count on you!!!!

I had a teacher and he was very religious about certain things, and I just get caught up in it too. You try and emulate your teacher (or at least I do/did). I'm still trying to get over that and do my own thing, but one of the things he said that makes me kinda apprehensive is that "I've made tons of mistakes over the years and I can help you skip all those mistakes". :( I think skipping mistakes would be cool to progress faster.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Good info on this thread. Don't think I've seen an answer to my questions though... is lead pipe playing playing mpc in lead pipe, or lead pipe alone like Arturo. Also, do long tones with the full horn accomplish pretty much the same thing as mpc buzzing/lp playing?

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Playing the leadpipe as Bill Adam taught uses the mouthpiece. The idea is to play the resonant frequency of that length of tubing - usually about a concert Eb, and to play for the most resonant sound you can get.

Long tones help with air management and to find the pitch center. They also help to develop a relaxed approach when played very softly which gets your chops vibrating with the least amount of excitation - to work towards an efficient production of sound.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This resonant sound closely approximates the sound of a sick cow.