MP Buzzing vs. Lead Pipe "playing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Local needs to give us a list of all the trumpeters using his system. (if there are any except him). If only half of what he claims is true, the world needs to redefine trumpeting. My suspicion is that we will never see the list - or an apology for Bill Adam.

2. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Originally Posted by Local 357
    And last: It always amazes me that these "experts" like Adams...

You must be kidding............. What gall to not even know how to spell his name correctly and then proceed to blast one of our most respected teachers. Where is your CV posted so we can make comparisons with Mr Adam and Local357.

Go back to your Harmon mute or whispa mute........ you don't get it.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Can we stick to the items you wish to dispute?

I take teachers to task when they fall off the mark. I whack the work of Claude Gordon all the time. HUGE failures he had needlessly. His ego got in the way.

As Rowuk has noticed due to his insistence that playing forward jaw and receded jaw are not considerations. A SERIOUSLY deficient gap in his understanding of playing the instrument. AND he's even gone on record REPEATING this grossly inaccurate statement. INCREDIBLE!!!

Thus the reason i suggest he (and the others proposing 19th century suggestions) stick to the "just tongue and blow" concept. They don't appear to have enough background to make certain a student grows in physical performance. Not on average. So by promoting "just tongue and blow" they at least aren't hurting anyone.

Plus it tends to work about as well as most of the other systems.

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Local, you still have not offered one bit of proof, or even any example of why your speculation could be plausible, yet you claim that I am missing the mark. You criticize Bill Adam and a bunch of other proven champions. I am tired of it so goodbye for a while. Maybe some other forum is in need of your talents - I suggest hot air heating.

I have given local a 4 week break. Not for insulting me, I don't care. We do not need blowhards that trash the greats like Claude Gordon, Bill Adam and others. His ideas may have merit, but certainly not to be compared with those doing the job professionally.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Edited because Rowuk's actions made it redundant.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps maybe for the first lesson for a beginner, just buzzing on a mpc would be appropriate, but after that I'd say B.E.R.P or BuzzzMaster would be the next phase, then next the mpc & LP combination would function for such alternative to the instrument, but nothing at all replaces the mpc combination with the instrument itself. Still, I don't think any of these, less than the last is bad whereas they are only alternatives used in circumstances when the last is not viable.

7. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona

8. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    For years, I did a lip buzz. Then, mouthpiece buzz with piano for tuning a la Jimmy Stamp. Never did much leadpipe buzz, but a friend who went to Indiana showed me and I tried it for awhile. Mainly, I just buzz on the mouthpiece, and have given up the lip buzz. Great as warmup!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There are observations a teacher can see when you buzz on a mpc that can help you correct problems before you play an instrument. It is a quite a bit awkward for the teacher to go from side to side around an instrument to accomplish this and producing a sound on the instrument is too close to the teacher's ears. Too, I have several times used a visualizer to assist in my corrective observations.

I know of no solo concert pianist that would trust the tuning of a piano! Why would you?

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Carl,

there gets to be a point where the lack of respect gets to be too much. There has been a lot of trumpeters with claim to fame, but they need to stand on their accomplishments, not on tearing down others. In recent history Local has taken on teachers in general, people with more income than he has, clergy, Claude Gordon and now Bill Adam. His rants sound like someone who has just been fired. There is a right to free speech however and I have not edited one word. If he comes back equally disrespectful, then we can make bye-bye permanent. I hope not. Variety makes this place more colorful and there is nothing wrong with a strong opinion. We just need to accept the fact that regardless of how convinced that we are, there are other recipes for success. The track record of the traditionalists is quite respectable which does not eliminate further research. If Local uses his vacation to build a real case, he is more than welcome back.