MP Buzzing vs. Lead Pipe "playing"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    This guy, just recently, dissed Leon Merian on the basis of what he thought he saw years ago and what someone told him. Not the brightest bulb on the tree

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Do I play as well as ... ? No, and I don't aspire to. The pursuit of fame is just a name for those that play the game ... a few win, but most lose. The best players IMO are those whose goal is simply to enjoy and share their music with others. Certainly no one complains if there is an additional dollar or more in their pocket ... but as of yet I haven't offset the costs of the music I play ... and I have no expectation of doing so. The only money I spent in my formative years was less than $1,000 which mostly went for 2 trumpets and a few accessories, and these I totally "lost". Do I now need to study others? My answer is that it wouldn't be all that much benefit for me now, but that isn't saying it wouldn't benefit many, if not most. Individually, it is what each of us want to achieve that spurs us on.

3. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    This has morphed from what I originally posted, but kinda cool at the same time. I do get caught up in the whole "can I get to a point where I can make any $$" but really like you said Ed, it's really all about me making music! AND making music the most beautifully I can. Thanks for reminding me.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trumpettrax, as a former LEO I always tell others that "make money" that they can expect jail time. To earn money seemingly depends more on who you play with and who your agent is. To my knowledge no trumpet soloist has achieved monetary success without others supporting them and sharing the take, quite often leaving the soloist with only a dime (or less) to the dollar after others and expenses are paid. Aside from niche and gimmick, I don't think it would be a detriment if we were younger and good looking ... and didn't have to support a family on what we earned. Not enough money is the primary cause for disaster in a marriage. Second is absence. I went to the University of Hard Knocks to learn these with 2 decrees (in divorce) and not a degree that I'd hang on my wall. I finally got degrees from other Universities that I hang on my wall (or could) but I don't know of any employer offering me any earnings presently based on these either (My age and health are factors, I suppose). I'll just make music only because I enjoy doing so.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    To get back to your original post. as has been stated buzzing the mpc is different from playing the trumpet. When mpc buzzing there is no resistance from the horn to help create compression in the air column. There is no standing wave to support the lips when they vibrate. Ergo the lips have to do all the work. So it's good for keeping the muscles toned. As a warm up it's can benefit because we don't have the horn in our hands.We can concentrate on our lips and the air exclusively. This can be helpful when first starting the day. It can help some players to "find" their embouchure. There are more benefits but I think everyone has talked about them.

When you add tubing to the mpc it gives it some resistance, ie. more control. As Adam says it can allow the lips to be more relaxed. This has also been achieved by adding extensions to the mpc. Some people use rubber or plastic tubing.

A couple of things. When buzzing the mpc/leadpipe it can be use to keep muscle tone in the embouchure. This has been stated by several people here. But remember that the lips are doing all the work of creating compression in the air column. So a little goes a long way.

One thing that was mentioned was that one shouldn't listen to the sound for the first couple of minutes.I Used to think like that. But years ago a friend pointed out that there was no reason to not make a clear sound on the first note of the day. And by George he was right. after that I quit making such a deal out of the first notes of the day. I realized that a well trained embouchure knows what to do. So my purpose of warming up was to prepare my embouchure for playing. Also to engage my mind and body to play the horn

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That 1st paragraph should be made into a sticky. You explained it in a way I couldn't articulate but knew in my head. Great post and getting the thread back on trax (;-)).

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks ya'll! lol