MP Buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jan 24, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I was told by a judicator to try some buzzing on a mouthpiece everyday as part of my warmup to help get a more solid tone (with a piano). The reason it was kind of airy during this performance was mostly due to nerves, and I don't think I have much of this problem when I normally play except around F at the top of the staff after I have been playing for a while. (My range only goes to a G above that though). There is some excess air to my sound that I'd like to get rid of so what do you think of MP buzzing to solve this?

Do you have any specific excercises to do with buzzing to help this?
    Are there any other suggestions as to how to get a more solid tone in a players upper register?
    Is there any other excercises non-buzzing related to help with this? (I do some breathing excercises daily too.)

Thanks for reading.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Buzz lightly and make the sound go slowly up and down sounding like a siren. Don't buzz too long or you'll be worn out. Buzz just enough to get the lip going

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Mouthpiece buzzing works and helps at least to center in pitch and intonation. Try buzzing some hymns out of a hymnal.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    From my personal experience (I'm not a teacher)
    Mouthpiece buzzing just makes you better at mouthpiece buzzing. I usually use it as a quasi warmup (enough to get some blood flowing).

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    thanks guys. After the first time I tried buzzing as a warmup I already noticed it was easier to get a more solid tone like I'm shooting for.:-)

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buzzing force you to SLOW DOWN. I am convinced that this is where the most benefit comes from. It gives our brains a chance to respond to what our ears hear.

The key to getting better has much less to do with the technical study that we master at the speed of light than the simple melody that gets our undivided attention.

As far as you "noticing" anything, success and true change are measured in months and years. In the first couple of days, we are talking ourselves into believeing that things are different even although nothing has happened yet. Stick with it. It may not be the only path, but it IS advice that someone who actually heard you play said. That is worth tons more than advice from internet strangers who have never heard one note.