MP Switch-a-holic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrump, Jan 3, 2007.

1. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    Greetings....I'm a switch-a-holic.
    I've been this way since I came back to the trumpet after a 12 year hiatus. I believe my problem stems from listening to such a wide variety of trumpet players (Botti/Baker to MF/Cat/Cubanisimo)
    At times I enjoy the edgy lead sound and other times the silky sound of velvet. There is no one mouthpiece to achieve both sounds. I'll go from small shallow (Curry) to deep open backbore (Monette).

Realizing this is slowing my progress as a player I am not able to get a grip on which mouthpiece to settle on.

I am going to decide this week, making a one year committment. Locking my other mouthpieces up and sticking to my decision.

Any advice on how to make this decision?

I currently am not playing with a group or band do to fulltime job travel/Father/Husband duties.

Thanks in advance!

2. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You should settle on "1" that you are most comfortable with, and which you sound the absolute best on. Choose a mpc that you can possibly cover all genres of music(i.e. jazz, solo, legit, etc.). Stay middle of the road with your choice.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And give ALL of your other mouthpieces to your lawyer with strict instructions not to return them for 12 months! (because the temptation will be terrible!)

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Ach, don't get the lawyer involved. That will just cost you money. Send them to me for safekeeping........

;-)

(All my extras are sealed in a box.)

5. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Why not go to the GR site http://www.grmouthpieces.com/ and ask for the MP questionnaire? Brian will respond and provide some excellent advice. Or go visit one of their dealers who has a trained consultant.

My hour with Brian ended my MP Hell!

6. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    But of course the answer is another mouthpiece! (Sorry Bill)

7. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I would qualify this and say, The piece you sound the absolute best on over the whole range the instrument and for the longest period of time.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with your assessment that no one mouthpiece can cover all the different types of sounds.
    There is nothing wrong with switching - if you practice that too. Settling on one mouthpiece is not the answer for every player and every style of playing. I think many players compromise the musical statement by trying to do everything on one horn and mouthpiece! The strongest players can get away with that, but what works for a full time professional does not have to be the ideal solution for a part time player.
    You need to decide what is important for your immediate playing and give that aspect the majority of your time. If I have a lead gig coming up, I won't keep the wide deep symphony piece on my horn - it just does not have that "sizzle". I also use a smaller mouthpiece for my piccolo. My flugelhorn has a deep V cup. I practice the most what I need next. My playing problems have never been mouthpiece related (although it is convenient to blame it!).
    If you alter your commitment to not fooling around with the "other" pieces when you have a gig coming up, you may be doing yourself a bigger favor!

9. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    I welcome all advice and getting some great stuff her.

If I go "middle of the road" I settle on something in which I sound "OK" and have good articulation and range.

I'd like to sound GREAT....and work on the rest with dedication. I'm committed.