MPC Sterilization?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Mar 7, 2014.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Best way to sterilize a mouthpiece? I ask partially wondering how hot of water you can use and if necessary to boil water or if that would be detrimental to the finish. I have both silver and gold plated mouthpieces, and ask because recently had a fever blister and don't want to re-infect it and have too many playing commitments to be able to just lay off the horn for a week.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Boiling water shouldn't harm your pieces. But it is surprisingly easy to scald yourself while doing it.

I generally use just "hot" water for cleaning as the metals used in both pieces and trumpets have strong antiseptic properties anyway.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that boiling water will not hurt the finish.

And to answer the OP's question, boiling water will kill herpes viruses (assuming that is what caused your cold sore). In addition, "time" will also kill the herpes virus. I don't recall the exact time, but I suspect that the herpes virus will die within an hour or two on your mouthpiece.

For completeness, let me add that boiling water will not completely "sterilize" a mouthpiece. Boiling water, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, and similar approaches will kill most (but not all) bugs. They will kill important bugs, like HIV, hepatitis, cold viruses, herpes viruses. However, there are a couple bugs they will not kill.

This is why warm water, soap, and a brush is often the best approach for cleaning your mouthpiece (or trumpet). Since you can't kill all of the bugs, the best approach is to wash the bugs away.

Mike

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Sterisol. It's cheap and easy to get, and designed to sterilize instrument mouthpieces. One bottle is probably a lifetime supply for private use.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mason is correct on the lifetime supply part. It only takes 2 minutes to work and you can't scald yourself. Probably take longer to boil the water than use the spray!

6. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    A straight razor can do the job.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :-?:-?:-?

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    He said sterilize, not circumcise.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've recently acquired 3 pre-owned mpcs which I'm restoring. My first step was a Dawn dish soap wash with my brushes and regardless of how hard I brushed the exterior and interior didn't seem much improved. Step 2 was the aluminium foil, baking soda and soda routine which did remove much of the tarnish. Step 3, using and old soft toothbrush and Wrights silver polish with some scrubbing I got them bright and shiny on the exterior but with my mini scope I could still see dark blotches on the interior. At this point I was stymied on how to get rid of them and then decided only experimentation would suffice. What to do, and then I said why not use denture cleaner, as it cleans the nooks and crannies of my dentures and thus for Step 4 into a bath with 2 Polident 3 minute tablets went a Bach 7C which could be a throw away if I messed up. Voila! The Polident worked and the interior had a consistent smooth finish when scoped. A water rinse and Step 5 into a soak in 90% isopropyl alcohol for 15 minutes and a blow dry in front of a fan to finish. Once I saw the results on the 7C, a Bach 7D and an Olds 3 followed with like results. It is only the Bach 7D that showed insertion wear through to the brass of the shank. My last action was to use my DEG shank truing tool to round out the shanks on the 7C & 7D, not needed on the 3.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Maybe he was thinking of "sterilize" as in "vasectom-ize"? ;-)

Mike