MPC with rubber rim

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Sep 10, 2009.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    recently I saw MPC with rubber rim. what is that? what are the benefits? tell me about it because its completely new to me.

I also tried search function but nothing come out

thank you bye

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Are you sure that it is really rubber? I have seen Lexan (Kelly mouthpieces) also some GR mouthpieces with lexan rim (the rest in brass). The benefit is allergy free (for people allergic to brass, silver or gold...or all of them together), slightly softer feel and good for outdoor playing, especially for cold weather.

3. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    "Conn patented his rubber-rimmed mouthpiece in 1875 (with patents to follow through 1877) described as "an elastic face [i.e., a rubber rim] where the mouthpiece comes in contact with the lips, the object being to prevent fatigue and injury to the lips."
    C. G. Conn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Patent List... 1874... Rubber cushion rim mouthpiece"
    Conn Loyalist at
    The Conn Loyalist

Dean

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just one of those inventions that proved useless because the basic premise was flawed. That is the case with any amount of serious R&D. Or worst case you know better and are just trying to recoup costs. Third possibility is ignorance. I don't believe that this was the case with Conn back then.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    What does mean R&D?

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Research & Development

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    useless???

but I heard the guy playing it, it seemed ok to me, nice tone, nice articultion

or you are suggesting that if he were to play with standard mpc there would be no difference in his playing. maybe that is what you mean by useless. But what about endurance and fatigue maybe it helps. who knows? (the one who tried obviously. lets hope that one will came along to shed some light)

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    There is a rubber/plastic rim cover that can be put on a trumpet mouthpiece that helps keep playability in extremely cold conditions... Is that what you are asking for? Masking tape works better in my opinion.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dean, useless. Yes, the same player with an all metal mouthpiece would have better results. Why? any soft material will absorb vibration, that lowers the efficiency of the playing system. That will not increase endurance.

The second indication is that it did not catch on. If it was HOT, we would have several offerings today - there is NOTHING. The third problem is health oriented. Rubber is porous. That means microscopic bits of skin and sweat, saliva all end up in the rim where they can rot.

10. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    That is also my wife's opinion.

But you were responding to the post of "Chet Fan", not to "ChaseFan", and Dean is the real-word name of "ChaseFan".

As much as I admire the famous guitarist Chet Atkins, I think the TM member "Chet Fan" should choose a different moniker that is trumpet-related ;-)

Dean