Mr.Curry, you make great mouthpieces!!

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Jazzman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    This post is a thank you to Mark Curry for making great mouthpieces. I play a 1.25 BC Chicago cut for sleeves and it has really changed my playing. I have been playing it for over a year on my Wild Thing and it truly is "the" piece for me. I play all kinds of gigs and this piece can do it all. I have been down the piece trail and played almost everything under the sun. I have had the mouthpiece drawer and I sold them all. I just received another Curry piece that just blows me away. It is a gold plated Curry 60TF and with my WT trumpet, I can really make my trumpet sound halfway between a trumpet and a flugel. I mean, my tone is warm and dark and the intonation is bang on. Even though this piece has a flugel like cup and a short shank, I find that there is no extra effort involved. I had a rehearsal with my jazz quintet and the I received many compliments on my tone with the TF piece. The guys asked me if I was playing the same horn!! I switched between my Curry 1.25 and the TF for different tunes and the TF really takes the edge off. So, a huge thank you to Mark Curry who is obviously a trumpet player who makes pieces for other trumpet players!! If you have not played them, you really owe it to yourself to try them.......Thanks Mark!! 8)

2. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I agree thankyou.

I play on a Curry 3BC. I finally have one mouthpiece that works for both Bb and C.

3. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Curry MP's

Add me to the list of happy Curry players. I think Mark makes great MP's for the $'s and I have found a great match with my horn and the 60M.

Mitch "The LIP"

4. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Just got my gold plated 1.25Z (Curry) and man, what a great match to my 1.25 Chicago. The Z really offers a great bite to the sound. The sound on this "lead" piece is big, broad and full!! Thanks again to Mark Curry!!! :D

5. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I considered starting a new thread, but when I looked through the TM archives I saw a thread title that expressed exactly what I was trying to say. As some of you on here know, for years I have been unhappy with just about every mouthpiece I put up to my lips. Every rim I ever used was just far too round, or if the rim was flat enough it didn't have enough bite. So I was stuck trying to find a livable balance between a flat rim without enough bite, or a rim with enough bite but was too thin or round. I was then reading an old JazzTimes magazine that had an interview with Ron Miles, Doc Cheatham, Terence Blanchard, and Clark Terry. In the interview, Clark described his mouthpiece as a very flat rim with a sharp bite and a deep cup. FINALLY, someone was describing exactly what I wanted. Then a new problem arose. Clark's mouthpiece was a custom Giardinelli, which you can't get anymore. And being that it was a custom model, that made the mouthpiece very rare, adding in the fact that that mouthpiece would be a valuable piece of memorabilia to any Clark fan, I had about a snowball's chance in h@## of finding one. I still kept looking. Then I got a head's up, from Trent Austin, that Mark Curry had a digital scan of CT's mouthpiece on file. I contacted Mark as soon as I could and after a smooth as glass transaction, I had my new mouthpiece in hand very quickly. I LOVE IT! The rim is what I have been looking for for years. I am now going to see about getting this rim put on some other bottoms to make it more usable for legit things and maybe even picc. I just wanted to publically thank Mark Curry for his great products and customer service, and to concur with Trent, who sings Mark's praises on here often!!

Perry Sutton

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Lessee,

WT3 cornet, WT3 Flugelhorn,3DC, 3VC, 3C, 3TF, 3TC .... safe to say I am an addict.

Cheers,

Brian

7. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Buzz,
    I am sure that it was not malicious. Try again, I am sure that you will not be disappointed!

9. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I love my 1.5FL for my Kanstul flug! Thanks, Mark.

10. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    I love my 2 series Curry MPs too. Most of the time I have my 2BC in my trumpet. For lead work, I use my 2*. I also have a 2TF that sounds really sweet for intimate jazz solo work on my trumpet.

Question Bilboinsa, what taper is your 1.5FL? I have a standard taper on my 2FL and it doesn't seem to go into my 1525 far enough. It doesn't impact intonation, as far as I can tell. Is your 1525 a "newer" model?

Cheers,
    Shermy