Mr. Manny sir could answer a few things? PLZ

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_chica, Jun 29, 2005.

1. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    :-) hi mr manny im a 3 yr trmpeter and i was wondering...watz ur fav music pieces? and ummm i have a few trumpet playing problems... ummmm okay i can hit notes above the staff and all but not for long if i play a long song with high notes my chops will die:cry: on me and i cant play well any suggestions? and im going into marching band and iwas wondering if u could help cool my jitters :-? about doing marching band....THANX! and any one else who has any suggestions post them too! thank u :D

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Chica,

I am starting this letter a second time as my computer decided shut down in the middle of a fairly extensive answer. Perhaps it was G-d telling me to be brief instead of long-winded. I'll defer to G-d.

Asking me to list my favorite peiecs is a tough one as I love whatever I happen to be doing or listening to (with a few exceptions)! Perhaps that's because I tend to choose pieces that I enjoy when I listen and I find enjoyment in just playing. I'll bet many of the trumpet pieces you like are ones that I liked when I was your age as well. Why don't you write back and tell me your favorites?

You soun like someone with a lot of energy who loves playing the trumpet: perfect for playing in a marching band. Though I've never marched, I understand it's fun especially when you get to compete for honors. We haven't even mentioned how much it means to the crowds at football games to hear you all play.

Whether it's a marching band or a symphony orchestra such the Minnesota Orchestra, it's all about the same thing isn't it? Enjoying what you do and having fun with your friends doing it.

If I have one suggestion it's perhaps thinking up a better slogan for your signature. First of all, it's not true. Second, I'll be willing to wager that you can think of a cool signature that doesn't lift up one group at the expense of another.

I look forward to your future letters, Chica, and I want to be among the first to welcome you to TM. Please let us know how your foray into the world of marching goes.

ML

3. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    WOW u answered my question THNAK U!

thank you for the adive its really good and it makes it alot better going to marchin band now :D well my fave pieces hmmmm.....I like Disney songs and i do like movie themes (mission impossibl:cool:, raiders of the lost ark, etc.) but the ones i did for honor band were awesome! i love the cornation march (frm star wars) and we did great locamotive chase, alamo, (cut time is hard!) and 3 others. But this yr we did alot of Robert Smith pieces which i say were awesome, they were Into the storm, Declaration in blue, and great loc. chase oh g2g still @ skool right bck l8r

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Chica,
    I would seriously take into consideration what Manny told you about changing your slogan. The reason I say this that a humble attitude towards whatever you want to exceed at is very important. Always remember that no matter how good you think you are there is always someone out there that is better. My niece who is 11 sometimes gets a big head when in her mind she is better than her fellow band mates. I bring her back down to reality by telling her it has been awhile since I heard you practice and those kids that you critisize are trying harder while you are playing xbox. My point is this be thankful that you have the ability to play the way you do but dont brag about it and dont make one group superior to the other....like I said there will always be someone out there male or female that will put you or me to shame. So be humble in whatever you do. I hope you understand this. ;-)

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Chica,

I knew we had a lot of pieces that we enjoy together! I've played many of those tunes and like playing them.

Hey, know what? I'd love for you to send me a letter here with your best english and grammar. Sometimes, I don't get the internet slang so go ahead and wait for a moment when you have a lot of time to write and you're not rushed to get back to school (see, I got that!). I have a notion that you're very bright. Clearly, you're enthusiastic! So, go ahead and impress me with your best!

Hablas español?

ML

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well this is a fun litle topic we have going here, isn't it? It always makes me feel good to befriend and welcome in some new people, especialy when it's the younger kids. You know, we have a bigger influance on them while they're young rather than when they're older, arrogant, snot-nosed teenagers like myself.

Anyways, I'll tell you a litle bit more about the marching band.
    Marching band is going to be the most fun thing you do in highschool. I've had friends that used to play sports and other things that said there's no way it could be as fun as what they are doing now, walking around playing instruments just didn't seem that fun to them. Well, after a year or two of talking some people into doing it, they too soon realized that it is byfar the most fun thing to do in highschool. Marching band isn't just a class like other classes. Marching band will become your life! Every one in the band will become your best friends and they are pretty much the majority of the people that you'll be hanging out with in the next four years.
    Everyone has "jitters" about marching band at first. They think "Oh my G-d, you want me to get up at 5:00 in the morning and go march around in the heat? And then you want me to have fun while doing that!?!?!" Well, yes, actualy thats exactly what they want you to do. It really dosn't sound like fun, but for reasons that no one can explain, it is.
    I don't know if you have a band camp during the summer befor school or not, but if you do, you really should go to it! It'll be alot of work learning how to march, and play, and march and play and stuff, but it's worth it. You'll have so much fun meeting all these new people and makeing so many new friends. You'll be haveing so much fun you won't even realize how hard you are working because you're haveing fun doing it!
    My favorite time in marching band was when I got back from band camp and I started telling all these funny stories and stuff we did. I started to realize about a minuet or two into my story, they just didn't understand. But with marching band stories, no body understands. And what made this so much fun was that it was the moment right there, that I realized I was a Band Geek. You'll have this moment sometime too, hopefully in the next couple months! And from that moment on, you'll be a compleatly differant person, and it feels great!

Marching band will be so much fun for you, and I can alredy tell that you'll fit in just fine. If you're enthusiastic enough to join the TM board, then you're definatly enthusiastic enough to fit in well with a marching band.
    Just wait for your first performance, a feeling will come over you that you've never felt befor, you'll step out there on the field in your uniform and all those people cheering for you. Its like nothing else! You may think it'll be just like when you perform in a concert, but concerts are just peanuts compared to the adrenilen(sp?) rush you get when you step on the marching field.

If you want a quick litle taste of what marching band will be like, heres my bands website, you can look around in the multimedia section and see pictures, stories, music, and you can check out the forum we have to see the crazy and fun people in marching band. Its not much of an experiance, but it should get your hopes up! www.dobsonband.net

Anyways, don't worry about your "jitters" for marching band. Everyone has them at first befor they know just how awsome it is.
    Unless you get into drum corps, marching band will be the most amazeing experiance of your life!

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    trmpt_chica,

I echo much of the same concerns over your slogan… but I do want to share with you and the other trumpet masters a story about my wife, the high school trumpet player…

We both attended the same High School back in Northern Virginia in the mid-70’s. I would like to be an optimist and think that times have changed… but somehow I think boys will always be boys and girls will always be girls.

Since I have started playing again, I’m often found introducing my wife to musician friends and telling them that she too is a trumpet player from way back… When time permits, I often hear her explain why she did not pursue playing the trumpet to higher levels. She tells a story about sitting first chair in Junior High and how all the other trumpet players were boys… mean boys that were intimidated by her natural abilities and didn’t like the fact that they were sitting under a “girlâ€. She jokingly tells of how at one point there was a reference made towards her body and she punched this boy on the arm so hard that he wore a long sleeve shirt for weeks. It makes me sad to hear her stories because I know that this kind of experience had much to do with her not wanting to continue playing the trumpet. To this day, she still loves hearing Maynard, Chase, Blood Sweat and Tears and other groups that had great brass. It’s wonderful to have a life mate that shares in the love for trumpet music, but I sense that those bad memories are still fresh on her mind.

Again, I agree with the previous comments about your slogan… but I can also imagine why you may have created such a slogan. This is a great opportunity for you to let this kind of “genre specific instrumentality†(I think I just made that up) end with you. Let the buck stop here with you. Don’t put anymore wood in the fire… etc… Be a trumpet player… a great trumpet player… and that’s it! If you must, look to great female trumpet players for encouragement. Susan Slaughter, principal trumpet with the St. Louis Orchestra was always of great inspiration to me. She studied with my teacher a few years ahead of me and he always used her as an example of greatness. It didn’t matter that she was a female… she had great talent and a fantastic work ethic. Those are the things that really matter.

I encourage our educators out there (with a much better current perspective) to chime in and contribute to this side topic.

In regards to the main topic… marching band was a great experience for me and my wife… she marched in front of me for 2 years… and I’m still following her lead! Just remember to try to balance marching band with some good study… don’t let your tone go crazy… and practice playing soft too…

Best wishes. It’s a wonderful time in your life. Evidence by my memory… you’ll cherish the memory of this time for years to come.

8. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    THANX I FEEL SPECIAL!

:D Thank u guys sooo much im feeling soo much better im crying tears of joy im soo happy! And about the slogan srry my friend who like was in love with a trumpet player wrote that and she was crying about him leaving so i left it ( i totally 4got about it i mean forgot about it) if u see my new signature its about my FAVORITEST TECHER! and sorry about my spelling i had to get off the net cause we were about to do a lesson on typing and my teacher was gonna take me off (he controls all the computers frm his) anyways thnx for telling me everything and manny My favorite piece of all time is Pirates of the Carribean (we played it at Disneyland and it was sooooo much fun!!)

ROGERIO thnx soo much for ur comment that really made me feel soo good thinking i might end up with such a man who loves what i love my trumpet. over here trumpet is a male dominated instrument but its oay as long as they play good more power to them!
    trumpet blower88 thank u for help cool my jitters about marching band i think im gonna tell storys bout how much fun i had in high skool while others will say how horrible it was! and u dont seem snot nosed to me! trust me ill never go to drum corps!
    Manny im srry (sorry) about my english i wanted to edit my message but didnt have enough time :oops: and i will try and impress everyone with my best! and do u suggest any songs for me to learn to help with my chops which die when i play to many high notes. :dontknow:
    oh umm si` pictho
    Phatom srry bout the sig. and yes i know some one will always try and put me down but ill always keep my head high! and i am very thank ful that G-d gave me the talent to play like i do!

P.S. THANK U EVERYONE!! if u have anymore suggestions or comments tell me!! I loved everything u wrote! :D :D

P.S.S. Anyone have suggestions on learning ur major scales? I have to know all of them before i can even get to perform with the band, or to get into the windensmble ( the band for good plyrs who arnt freshman but theres a new band for people who dont know their major scales i dont want to be in that....)I know 7 of the major scales and my full Chroatic but i have to know all 12 and i dont know if i can memeber them. THNX AGAIN! AND YES i am very enthusiastic! :cool:

9. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    new friend chica:

it's been my experience that one doesn't get the high range you want by always trying to play tunes in that register. why not use the scales you mention to improve your high and low range.
    take whatever note you both sound best on & feel most relaxed on and carry the sound/feel to the next notes up and down.
    get a book one by robert getchell or sigmund hering & make the short tunes sound the same way as your good notes.

go here -

http://www.asboa.org/

click jr or sr scales on the lefthand side of the screen and print off the trumpet scales.

these are the kind of things i have my students do.
    also, don't 'mash' on your lips too hard to get any note, just enough to make it sound clear.

dj

10. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    Thnx!

thnk u Mr. johnson im at skool at cant see the scales yet but when i get home i will! ;-)

P.S. Do u think any one knows Mr. Kraus (steve Kraus) hes a gr8 trumpeter!