MSO Sommerfest

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Solar Bell, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    CW,

Well, get this:

We had one of those concerts scheduled a few weekends ago and we had to CANCEL it! We did so because of a lack of marketing and a subsequent lack of interest! First concert I've ever seen cancelled like that here!

ML

3. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Why didn't the orchestra's marketing dept just give a truckload of very cheap (or even free) tickets to all the local schools? I don't expect it would have been profitable in fiscal terms, but getting kids excited about orchestral music at an early age is invaluable.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, here in the US school's out for summer, so, you would be hard-pressed to contact the kids that would be interested. This orchestra does more to reach young people on a broad scale than many others.

No, the simple answer is as I said: they underestimated what it would take to get kids who are out of school to a concert like this during the summer and they blew it on the marketing/publicity.

ML

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    That's too bad. Had they got the word out, I'm sure it would have done very well. Surely Minneapolis/St.Paul has video game geeks!

6. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny,

August 7, Count Basie Orchestra.

Are they playing with the MSO?

-Carlos-

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I WISH!!!

We're just about on vacation by that time. If our friend Cleavon were alive, we'd have him conduct a number or two.

ML

8. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Too bad,
    My friend Mike is the lead player, I was going to have him look you up.

Ah yes....
    Sheriff Bart, Gucci saddle and clothes, and April In Paris....One more once for Cleavon. It's Twue, it's twue.

-cw-

9. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Could be that people in Minnesota are just too cultured to attend such an event. :dontknow:

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nah.

There are a ton of gamers who probably get into the music. I really think it was a question of lack of publicity.

ML