Mt.Vernon Mpc.....Why the High price

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Phatmon, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
  2. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I don't know how much a Mt Vernon mouthpiece is worth, but I guess I ought to find out some time. I have a matching set of trumpet and cornet mouthpieces in 1 1/2C size that are both Mount Vernons. But they both show wear where they fit into the lead pipe. I didn't store my mouthpieces. I played them.

3. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    :shock:

Do you guys really think a mouthpiece is really that great??? I've love to have it but I wouldn't pay more than a $100 and that's after playing it and absolutely lovin' it. Plus I'd have to open the throat too.

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    There's no way this piece is "worth" $1200! You are paying for a collectors item, which, as we all know. is worth only what some other collector is willing to pay for it! If you can buy a Monette mp for $250 or so why would you pay this much? Jerry Callet could make you a mp that is built specifically for your emboucher and facial features, more than likely being far superior for your playing, than you could ever get from buying this "collector's dust collector" If this particular mp is so great why hasn't he used it?

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  6. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    For that matter, you can get a Curry for $45, which is based on a digital scan of what Curry claims to be a "good" Mt. Vernon Bach.

Of course, if you're lucky and play a 7C, you can get a Mt. Vernon for $50... I have one, and it does play better than another 7C I have... but that could just be the inconsistency talkin'.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Then again, there is always the saying that "it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it."

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    With the Mt Vernons and New Yorks, it doesn't matter if you play a 7C, I have a NY 7C that is bigger than my modern Bach 1C rim.

Kevin

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    "We must all work together to conquer mental illness...."

Robert Rowe

10. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Hmmm...a few years ago, I bought an old one-valve bugle off of ebay that came with a NY Bach 10 1/2C. Think that turned out to be a good investment? Maybe I should get it replated and start using it.