Mt. Vernon on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by PhatmonB6, Jan 5, 2006.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. P.K.Bloo

P.K.Bloo New Friend

Oct 25, 2005
    Iowa
    It would seem NOBODY thought it was worth the asking price, anyway. Wonder if it'll go up for bid again at a reduced price...

3. psalt

psalt New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Australia
    Interesingly the 3rd valve slide stop assembly is like an Elkhart trumpet and not a Mt.Vernon. I own a Mt.Vernon with a serial no only a few digits away and the stop assembly is the same as all Mt.Vernons I have seen.

Peter Salt

4. ADziuk

ADziuk New Friend

Not only that, it isn't a "REAL" Mt. Vernon. It was made in Mt. Vernon but Selmer had already bought Bach and taken over production.

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Please explain your post -- I don't understand why you say it isn't a real Mt. Vernon.

Bach was sold to Selmer in 1961, and an instrument with serial number 24620 dates to 1964, but they were still made in Mt. Vernon using the same tools and dyes.

Do you really think that the horns were that much different in quality over the 3-years following the Selmer Buy out?

I'm not arguing with you, but would love to hear more about why you feel this way.

By the way, I own a Strad made in the first 200 made in Elkhart and I would not trade it for two Mt. Vernon’s and your first-born child! It is a sweet playing horn.