Mt. Vernon Strad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fhammelman, May 14, 2013.

1. fhammelman

fhammelman New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    I have a Strad - serial 20--- and I have noticed that my mouthpiece goes into the receiver much further than in a relative's newer Elkhart model. I was planning to have a new leadpipe installed, but my repairman and I noticed that the new pipes are 3/8 longer than the original. He says he can modify the new pipe so the length will be the same by moving the tuning slide sleeve. There is more than 1/4 inch available without machining or cutting any parts. Does anyone have experience with new longer leadpipes on old horns?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If your receiver is worn, why not just have a new one put on your original mouthpipe? I'd save the original one, BTW.

That said, I think MV mouthpipes of a certain era were shorter than the norm. Do you have to play with your tuning slide pulled out more than is usual on other trumpets? If so, a new longer (standard length) one probably wouldn't hurt. If the slide is only pulled 1/2" or so, then you'd probably need the new mouthpipe shortened to match the original.

3. fhammelman

fhammelman New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    I plan to keep the old leadpipe, and I knew many Bach players in the 60's who all had to pull their slides 1 inch or more. It was standard. I had originally planned to only change the receiver, but I liked the new pipe when we taped it to the horn for trial. I hope it does not change the great tone quality of the horn. I'm told that has more to do with the bell section.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sounds like a plan. If your tuning slide pull was acceptible with the longer pipe taped on, I would leave it the stock length.