Mt. Vernon

Discussion in 'Horns' started by old geezer, Jan 20, 2005.

1. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Manny:
    I am just an average player enjoying life at 55, I have been playing Benges for the past 20 yr. with a scattering of other horns thrown in(Bach,Besson,Bel Canto,Getzen,Schilke,ect.) Ijust purchased a Mt. Vernon and this horn is the easiest horn I have ever played. It has a beautiful warm tone and this is the first horn I can play pp with ease on. The only thing bad about this horn is that the intonation wanders around some on this horn. Is it me or have I always had this problem and am just now noticing it. Thanks for any input. old geezer Dave :cool:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear OG,

There's an outside chance that the horns you were playing on before may have been more rubbery than the Mt. Vernon you just picked up. It may be that the other horns didn't have the stability that this horn has and you're not used to it. You may have to look into a mouthpiece that helps you lock in the pitch better or you'll have to adjust your playing to become a litle more neutral so you're not overadjusting for notes that don't need it.

ML

3. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Thank you for your input- I am looking into a Curry and/or GR mouthpiece to help out. I sure would hate to give up on such a great playing horn. old geezer Dave

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Sometimes Curry's BC cup can make the natural out-of-tune notes, especially the D, Eb and E, more out of tune rather than less.

The GR's that I've tried had a less centered core to the sound than Bachs and others.

I'd look for a Monette mouthpiece in your favorite size.
    See their website for details.
    It's really not that risky (in other words, don't whine about there being no return policy - we take a risk in purchasing any mouthpiece), since they compare their sizes to other manufacturer's:
    Bach 1 = B1-1/C1-1
    Bach 1X = B1-2/C1-2
    Bach 1B = B1-5M/C1-5M
    Bach 1C = B1-5/C1-5
    Bach 1 1/2 C =B2/C2
    Bach 2C = B3/C3
    Bach 3C = B4/C4
    Bach 5C = B6/C6
    etc.

5. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I will definitly check into a Monette - I currently play a Reeves 42M and like the way it feels, so I will check out a comparable one. Thank You old geezer Dave :cool:

6. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    If you've liked the feel of the rim on your 42M, I would suggest that you go for Monette's 4 rim.

The B4 (for Bb trumpet) and C4 (for C) are great! One of the best players here in the twin cities plays on these, and his sound isn't any too small.

For lead work, the B4L is good, too.

The cup size of the 42M actually falls between these two, but here's a Monette for legit and another for lead.

7. old geezer

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Manny - I wrote to you about a week ago saying how my Mt. Vernon seemed to be out of tune - well it seems that the more I play the better
    the intonation gets. You were right, I had to learn how to play a horn that slots tighter. Once again Good Advice Thank You old geezer Dave :cool:

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The TM vibe strikes again!

The evidence mounts... those who post here solve problems and improve their playing.

Bravo OG, enjoy your new baby.

ML

9. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I play a Mt.Vernon ML37 with a BR 42ES. I plays perfectly in tune. It also plays nice with my Monette BL, VB 3C and a few others mpcs.

If the horn still plays out of tune after practicing, there could be something wrong with it. Check the leadpipe for corrosion, or maybe a leak. After all it's a old horn.