Multiphonics on Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I have seen it used on tuba euphonium and trombone but is it possible or even worth your time learning on a trumpet? I heard that it was close to impossible but maybe with a large mouthpiece it will work?

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    It's possible. Harder I think than on the larger brass, but you can do it. I don't know how musically useful it is.

Do this:

Play a low C and sustain it. Now, while continuing to play the low C, hum an F a perfect fourth above it. It's hard at first, and there will be a tendency to either play the F or hum the C, but with a little persistence you can do it.

After that you can play little tunes with two lines in parallel.

I'm not sure how much more one can do beyond that, but hey, try it and find out! =:-)

bigtiny

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Out of tune multiphonics are the basis of growling.

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Check out Matt Shulman, he's a master of it. I can do it, but not in any useful sense.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Man, I worked for YEARS to stop humming and grunting while playing.

Mouthpiece size is not signficant. Like everything else trumpet, the time invest makes it easy.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi cobragamer,
    I first learned how to do this in high school. Yeah, it's a pretty cool effect but the hardest thing is to balance the hum with the lip vibration. The person who does this type of stuff (and other crazy stuff like that ) would be Rashan Roland Kirk. Unbelevable musician and underappreiciated for sure.

7. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i learned the growling thing and i guess i can do the multi phonics thing... but a clarinet player who plays trumpet said i was doing it wrong she said i was supposed to roll my tongue... silly clarinet players.

8. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Growling IS done by rolling the tongue. It's not 'out of tune multiphonics', though that can produce a similar sound.

9. scottcgr

scottcgr New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    Montreal/Toronto
    Several contemporary pieces, such as HK Gruber's Exposed Throat and Aerial, require the use of multiphonics. Having seen it done live I can say it's really cool when done properly in musical context.

10. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    See, i learned something new today.. multiphonics are possible on the trumpet, I will go try it according to the way it is explained on here...:-):play: