Multiphonics on Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I do multiphonics a different way. If you blow through the center of two harmonics, (at the point of splitting it) and hold it you can create chords. For me this technique works best between low C and bottom G. Does anyone else play them this way?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yes!! I thought I was the only one!!
    What I do is try to get as close to the G as I can while on low C before it slots into the G. Is this what you're doing? The effect I get is almost like a Jimi Hendrix sound (if it was amplified).

3. Bertman

Bertman New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Norwich, UK
    Mmmm, I can play multiphonics to an extent after feeling left out after all my brass playing friends (who happen to be lower brass players) have been have fun messing around doing them in school. You don't have to just hum a chord, pretty much any noise you make with your mouth whilst still playing a note counts as multiphonics (I think).

My tuba playing friend likes to do little...well hard to explain really but I suppose they're like little screams. In the right music context they sound good. Youngblood Brass Band style.
    Trying doing multiphonics with a card board tube from some wrapping paper, it's good fun.

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  5. Bertman

Bertman New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Norwich, UK
    Nice one nordlandstrompet, glad somebody thought to put a bit of Oystein Baadsvik on here.

Man he is so good. Plus I find him really quite funny.

6. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Forte User

Jun 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Re: Multiphonics on Trumpet? Reviving this thread

Multiphonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I discovered this after pretty much exhausting my lips after a few hours of practice. I am definitely not doing the singing technique, but I am getting a very distinct and sustainable chord sound. I think it is what is referred to in the above link as lip multiphonics.

At first it was only accidentally good tone, and now that I have worked on it a bit I can navigate several notes and keep the effect nice and solid. It sounds really cool in a certain range above C, but I am not sure that it would be very useful. It occurred to me that (because I can even do it by just buzzing my lips right with no trumpet at all) a plausible explanation is that my upper lip buzzes one pitch and my lower lip buzzes at a harmonically related pitch. I lucked up on it practicing playing with my lips a little looser and suddenly there it was. Never thought I would find myself practicing a technique that I would have earlier thought was just "bad tone". It really is not bad tone when you get it right, but it derives from bad tone. :play:

7. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    I've done the singing kind on horn since college, but never tried on trumpet. Not sure how it would go...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The reason that multiphonics are easier on the lower brass instruments is that you need to sing loudly higher than the played pitch to be "musical." We can make some pretty cool noise, but chords are real, real hard--If you want a major chord, you'll have to sing a major 6th above your played note.

Multiphonics are great for warming down after a rough gig--play a low F# and sing just a couple of herz obove the played pitch--it is like a massage for your chops.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I used to do that when I was younger (a lot of years ago), just in the way Bloomin Untidy Musician and Markie described it. I had forgotten that, but I'm now recovering it, it's funny... Thank you guys !

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I'm pretty sure I get 'em! But then ..... well ..... let's just say it's a good thing there are 100's of yards/meters between me and the neighbors when I practice .....

Vulgano .... wow. Have to try it sometime. .... Later ......