Multiple embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I recently discovered that i play on two embouchures; one slightly to the side and one near the center. How many of you play on multiple embouchures? Do you work on maximising the potential of both embouchures, or like me do you just slap it on and blow?

Peaceful

B.U.M

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Interresting in deed!

Do you deliberately practise first with one of them and then with the other, or is the choice of setup something that you let happen randomly?

I personally think that one should always just put the mp on there, without any trying to find a certain spot or anything. This actually used to be a mental thing for me; I could spend maybe 10 - 15 seconds trying to find the perfect spot. This doesn´t work well in real situations although you have the time when practising at home. It became a mental thing that I in the end realized would have to be concurred.

3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    No i have never practiced/played deliberately on either of them. Just slapped it on and blown!

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    So does the mouthpiece move at some point when you are playing? Do you find yourself playing one way for high notes and another for low note? How did you come by the discovery that you play on two setups? Sorry for all the questions, but this is pretty interesting...

by the way, I just throw the mouthpiece to my face and blow... think I generally throw it to the same spot, though!

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    That´s good to my opinion!

I wonder; is the double setup any problem for you?
    Also wondering the same things as et_mike.

6. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I don't really think about where to put the mouthpiece. I think warm up helps it to find its own center. I would think multiple embouchures would be a problem. When I was in High School my embouchure moved from over work and to much pressure. It was a bad thing. I know I pivot slightly at times and I do curl my bottom lip in slightly when playing in the upper register, however my embouchure is in the same place it has always been. Right where it belongs.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    B.U.M,

Get a bit more analytical - try to find out what make you switch the embouchure - high register, stage fright, loud playing etc. It is not normal or beneficial to have two set ups. Pivoting is another story. As we always recommend, playing softly long tones and slures can be very helpful. Make your mind on which set up works best for you and use it constantly, be vigilant, use your mirror etc in order to prevent yourself to go back to having multiple embouchures. Be patient and diligent.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you practice enough, you can get used to multiple positions. The problem as I seel it is that NOT keeping the mouthpiece in one place needs much more practice time to keep all of the important attributes working. My quaestion is why make it harder than it needs to be?

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    As far as I know I use one.

10. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    At the moment i don't find it a problem, as i said i just slap it on and blow. My range seems to be the same. I don't have an embouchure which moves depending upon range, i can play from pedal to screamer without moving the mouthpiece. Maybe i should be more analytical about it, but both spots work. My biggest issue is the internal embouchure/tension rather than the spot.
    For me it doesn't seem to make a great much difference which one i play on, and i don't feel it is anything i need to worry about (however i am going for a couple of lessons, maybe my teacher will think differently).What i am curious about is, how common is multiple embouchures amongst trumpeters? Are there any professionals that work successfully with this setup? Is it an issue that should be consciously addressed within the practice routine?

Cheers B.U.M