Multiple horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcheze, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jcheze

jcheze New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Goldsby, OK
    Do many folks have more than one Bb trumpet for different styles of playing, or do you feel that one is enough and that you can just adjust your style and/or mpc to suit the need?

For example, do you have a standard weight or heavier along with a lightweight horn?

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I use two horns. For most everything I play in the Big Band, Jazz and Lead styles I use a Conn Connstellation 28b (in my mind one of the ultimate lead horns)- I also have used my old Besson (Kanstul) Meha for Lead and Latin stuff. For concert band, and symphonic stuff I use a Yamaha Xeno. I also use the Xeno when I have to fit in with groups more readily- ie. Drum and Bugle Corps (but I am getting an M & K round tuning slide as well- to tune in the darker sound with Lead playing in large lines).

The second part to this question is also as important- what moutpieces do we match to the horns?

Legit: Xeno with a Warburton 1MD with an Austin Custom A1 Backbore
    Jazz: 28b with either the Warburton or right now two MP's I'm experimenting with (Bach 1D or Schilke 17b4)
    Lead: 28b with a Schilke 14a4 (soon to be with a Bob Reeves 43S)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    For me it matters not only "what" I am playing but "where" I am playing as well. When playing for Oktoberfest around people drinking beer, the good horns stay far away!

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    An Olds Ambassador makes a great club! I can't see it being used for much more than that :oops:ROFL:-P

5. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Well, I suppose they would work pretty well as a sand wedge too... ;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, I have several Bb horns for various playing jobs. I play a lot of "historically correct" stuff and instruments of the particular period are preferred.

You asked if many do, I will say no. Most players do not have playing gigs where the difference is helpful. There are collectors however that simply have fun with lots of horns even if the result is not musically critical.

There are no right or wrong reasons for using multiple horns. I normally do not need to choose between Bb instruments. It is more like rotary or piston or natural trumpet or cornetto. For the historical stuff, old cornets, deep F trumpets or german rotary flugelhorns are often the instruments of choice.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have several trumpets in my stable that I use on a semi-regular rotating basis so that I have some flexibility for how I feel that day. That also gives me options when playing in public as to which horn might be best suited to that particular job. I have a small bore Buescher peashooter, a Coprion bell Director, an Olds Recording, an Olds Super w/Bach bell, three cornets, a Flugel, a small bore C trumpet by Courtois.... all feel a bit different, yet the same. In my case, most of the time my choice is based on personal preference, because I spend more time practicing than playing these days. I enjoy playing different horns because I detest tedium. I won't worry until my horns reach double digits.
    N+1? What's that?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Doc Severinsen addressed this issue in an interview. His take was that a good Bb should be able to play anything. I too have historical instruments (and suck on cornetto and natural trumpet, by the way--which is why I adopted the "Vulgano Brother" monicker: "g" below the staff I can handle with reasonable accuracy), but whether it be rotary or piston valved, one Bb should be able to meet 90% of our playing needs, provided we put in the time to teach it to do so.

9. jcheze

jcheze New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Goldsby, OK
    Should the 90% needs be met with a standard weight horn, or can it be met with a lightweight horn?

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    yes I have a couple Bb trumpets(Yamaha 6310Z and a Yamaha/Akright Bel Canto "Frankenhorn") and 1 C trumpet (Bach Strad 229/25h)
    In all actuality I only use two.
    Bach C for legit work
    Yamaha "Shew" horn for everything else

I adapt/interject my own personality and sound on those two horns to create the "proper" style.
    Some minor adjustments to mouthpiece selection may involve but mostly it is in my mindset and approach to the music.