Multiple tonguing wide intervals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Apr 24, 2010.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    As I don't have any performance to look forward to in near future I found it may be a good time to get a new skill in my bag....So I am trying to get multiple tonguing wide intervals working (think Carnival of Venus stuff). For the moment the plan is to start from 3rd tremolo and slowly achieve introduce wider intervals while trying to keep the tonguing working...

If anyone has done this kind of practice, feel free to share your experience and tips.

seems like I have a long way to go.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The Arban's book sections on double and triple tonguing expand expand to intervals. Go slow at first. Stay relaxed. If you master the first exercises in each section by the time you get to the intervals you'll be ready for them.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I concur with Bob. Start out with slow tonguing and smaller jumps, and work your way up in tempo and also up in jump distance. Practice, practice, PRACTICE!

The same kind of approach is how I was able to develop my lip-trill technique. Start out easy and make it harder slowly!

Guy Clark

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    remember that Al Vizzutti uses a pretty small mouthpiece. He does not have to "move" as much to get an octave jump compared to players with bigger equipment. Actually the octave is an easier interval than 3rds or 5ths. The doubling of the frequency does not require rearrangement of the standing wave in the horn. Schlossberg has some pretty decent interval exercizes. Standard scales work pretty well too

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Currently working Arban pg 127, add Cb major . . . I'm doing as written, which does not include multiple tonguing, but that's just another model(s) to add.