Multitongue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by philliezfreak, Dec 10, 2007.

1. philliezfreak

philliezfreak New Friend

Dec 10, 2007
    I feel sort of out of place, but I consider myself to be an intermediate trumpet player (good for a high school student) and I have developed most of my skills besides tonguing. I have tried Arban's and have been working on it for around 6 months. I've found that I haven't improved much since the first week. I was curious if there is a book more dedicated to multi tonguing or a different method to developing multi tonguing. By the way, my single tongue is sixteenth notes at around 115 or so.

2. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Welcome to the site. Do you have a private teacher?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    philliezfreak,
    there is an awful lot that could be in the way: breathing, tension, too forceful tonguing. 6 months of going nowhere shows some underlying issues that are almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. That being said, noticable, reliable improvements in tonguing need to be measured in 8-12 week blocks not miracles over night. One single lesson with a top notch teacher could get the problem analyzed and at least a plan of attack worked out. You should plan some regular supervision (lessons)too!
    Arban played correctly is as good as ANY other exercizes.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Also if your trying to start out too quickly on the arbans book exercises, that will cause you to learn nothing. Start at the ridiculously slow tempo it says. Even if it seems dumb and like you wont be going anywhere... believe me, in due time.

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Arbans has a BUNCH of multiple tonguing. I would stick with that book for a while.

6. philliezfreak

philliezfreak New Friend

Dec 10, 2007
    Thank you for all of your replies. Yes, I do have a private teacher, and I am now planning to spend at least a few lessons on multi tonguing to get ready to play the Kennan for next years district audition. Again, thank you for all of your responses.