Muscle Tear/Hotspot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm pretty sure I just developed a hot spot on my upper lip muscle. I thought it was just aggravated skin a few days ago, so I didn't stop practicing, but now I'm noting twinging and muscle soreness (a little even when I smile/not playing). Guess I've been overpracticing...

Does anyone have any experience with how long I should wait before allowing myself to play again? I'm going to let my teacher know about it tomorrow morning, I just woke up from a nap and realized the twinging was occurring.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Give it a day, and then do some low long tones..... see how you feel on Thursday. Not sure what you mean by "hot spot".. surface abrasion/bruising? pimple coming up? muscle tear? muscle spasm/twitching? tenderness?

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I thought originally it would be perhaps acne, which is what I meant about skin aggravation. But it turns out I have tenderness/muscle spasm. It feels like its "pulled", but not torn exactly.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Give it some rest now and see where you are in a day or two.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You likely strained you lip. I agree with jiarby and wait a day. Message the area. When you start back, start at 50-75% maximum capacity for several days. Stop if the pain returns or when you start loosing control of hitting notes, which ever comes first.

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Would that be by text message? or email? or good, old fashioned post-it notes? :)

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    He could get a tattoo there that said Trumpet Player, or I bite.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Either would work as long as the message is downloaded on a nice soft ply paper, wadded up while still warm from the printer, and then applied to the sore lip with a gentle MASSAGE motion!

GOD I WISH THE TAUGHT US HOW TO SPELL IN MED SCHOOL!

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    And I'm glad they have you type now, so that the never ending struggle to try deciphering your handwriting is over for good (at least it is at my hospital)...

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Use spel chek, itz eezer :-P