Muscle Tear/Hotspot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure how to comment this thread. I belong to the "show must go on" generation. Fact is, there is ALWAYS something in the way. It seems the older that I get, the less it matters. 99.99999% of the time, keeping going does not kill ones self.

The most important issue is figuring out why this has even happened, and not doing it again. I would NOT delay the jury. That is a sign of a second trumpeter attitude!

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I respect that attitude, Rowuk. I just have heard stories of brass players that have caused permanent damage by ignoring these types of signs. But they could very well just be horror stories. I expect that one day off and a day of light playing will be enough for everything to come back together.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,

sometimes letting advice "soak in" is better than blogging an immediate comment.

Fine playing is very often a mind over matter situation. The more you "think" about the tenderness, the more of a psychological issue it is. What concerns me is that almost a week in advance that you are already talking about "postponing/cancelling". If we always postpone until the situation is "optimal" there is a far greater danger than the odds of permanent damage.

If our playing is sorted, occasional overwork can be compensated by a day off and then practicing what does work. Frequent cooling keeps the swelling down. There is ALWAYS something that we can practice lightly......

Herpes or other types of sores is a different issue. There the day off is spent partly at the doctors!

I had a really nasty cold a couple of weeks ago and my ears were stuffed up. Cough syrup, aspirin and tea made the gig work. I didn't tell anybody. The last thing that I needed was more discussion or worse, a conductor that compensates to ease the pressure on the poor little trumpeter in the back row.......

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So Mark, it's been a day of rest, your back to partial performance, how is it going?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gmonady, I only dated nice girls in college, and I'm not sure if I need a gerontologist or maybe a script from you for some "Farmsuiticals" (hope you can read that), and don't get me wrong--if you sent a cute med student my way I'd be eternally grateful!

Rowuk's point is well taken though. Lots of us have "performed" under less than ideal circumstances, whether it be trauma, germs, viruses, bug allergies, cooties or the like, but finessed and muscled our way through. Not ideal, maybe, but we showed up, played our part, and nobody died. Physicians have it harder: "do no harm" has never been part of the trumpeter's motto.

(PM me about those medical students, especially ones that are cootie free.)

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    As good as new, no problems of any sort regarding the muscle. Thanks for the help!

7. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    You must keep playing. Dont you hear the saying "No Pain No Gain" You can not let a battered lip stop from playing the horn. Although you can have your girl kiss it to make it better.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think today doing long tones and light technical work will seal the deal.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The good doctors work here is done. :-)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but NOT to worry Mark -- the good Dr. is like a penny or some gum on the sidewalk --- in that he turns up when you least expect him too. ROFL ROFL ROFL ----- "a penny saved is a penny earned" --Abraham Lincoln.