Muscles of the embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Jul 12, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    pretty soon someone is going to post that the muscles of the embouchure and the muscles are not the same type and therefore the same rules don't apply. Along with this comes the statement that embouchure muscles can be worked every day without detriment, unlike with your muscles such as your arms, legs, chest and back, which need the breaks.

2. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    The muscles of the embouchure and the muscles are not the same type and therefore the same rules don't apply AND embouchure muscles can be worked every day without detriment, unlike with your muscles such as your arms, legs, chest and back, which need the breaks. ROFL I love cut & paste......

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I suspect that when people say that their embouchure is cooked it is NOT exclusively a muscle thing as if you were fatigued from lifting weights.

Are you tired and sore in the corners???? Or are sore where the mpc physically touches your face? I will bet it is the latter! If so, then it is less of a muscle thing and more of a surface trauma thing. Especially if you are a "pressure player"... with the associated swelling and tenderness that comes from any other kind of surface abuse.

Thank goodness they don't bruise or no one would play trumpet

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I can understand fatigue, which I can attribute to decreased endurance, but "soreness" I would interpret as doing something wrong as regards your technique. I usually take a day off a week from playing which doesn't seem to do any harm.:roll:

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    More than a couple days off and I can tell the difference. I lose endurance & my very modest range. I don't use pressure anymore (since the comeback) and I definately feel the fatigue in the corners of my mouth for several days after any extended days off....chuck

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Practice trumpet and when it stops being fun do something else productive until that stops being fun. Then the trumpet looks pretty attractive again!

Have fun!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In my case it's actually just below my corners near my chin, and above my corners right up under my cheek bones. This isn't to say that I don't experience the surface trauma as well now and again, but that's only when the gig has run to the point where about the only thing I can do to keep going is to keep enough mouthpiece pressure going and to blow hard. That doesn't happen very often though.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we are PRACTICING properly, we are NOT lifting "weights". Building chops is building fine motor control. Endurance comes from intelligent use of the facial tissue. We can compare what we are trying to accomplish with the muscles to the brush strokes of an artist, the incisions of a surgeon, the precision of a carpet weaver. We synchronize our breathing, tension of the muscles and tongue activity in thousands of hours of caressing, not minutes of rape and pillage.

If we get BEAUTY and ELEGANCE into the concept instead of a 4 minute mile, we are well on our way to an elevated trumpet playing state. Endurance then becomes the result instead of a goal.

Even if I have a series of tough gigs, there is no "pain", no "abuse" no big "recovery" time necessary. I am happy when the gig is over and really enjoy that first cold one, but the seed has been planted for the next day.

Beauty, harmony, elegance are far more beneficial than high, loud and fast. Don't forget it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yours fits my current regimen as was instilled by my parents who prohibited my playing on Sundays unless I was playing in church.
    It has worked well for me also and probably better now as I attempt to recover my former capability.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Embouchure soreness comes from overplaying. ie playing more than your embouchure can do. Soreness is not something one wants to have in the embouchure. It's not like weightlifting. Except for the very rare gig where one may overextend themsleves you should never be sore from playing.