Music Apps for iPad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dylan1, Jul 18, 2014.

1. dylan1

dylan1 Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2011
    What are some music apps for the iPad. I'm looking for all types of apps like metronome, tuner, ect.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Tuner, i use "insTuner", I like the display and options.
    Metronome "Pro Metronome", allows any/all time signature, some others don't, great sound options
    A really cool one that is free that allows you to do an A-B repeat to replay a chunk of a song over and over, and slow it down to help learn it is "SpeedUp Lite"
    They are all very good.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    We use GoodReader for the party band for our music files. Of course everything needs to be scanned/saved as a PDF, but once it is, it's a great way to keep your music organized, and for us, the only way we can viably do it anymore - there are literally 535 charts in the trumpet book alone. Can you imagine how large of a paper book that would be considering that most charts are 2+ pages?

Something else that's cool about GoodReader is the ability to synch to an FTP server on the web. My bandleader has all the charts for all books out there on the web, and I keep my book, the sax book, and one of the lyrics books synced, and I make sure to run the sync process before every gig to make sure I have all the charts. If there are sync conflicts, it asks you how to resolve them. You can also upload to the FTP server from the iPad, which is a cool feature for maintenance on the other end, but not something I've done.

Page turns are pretty easy - either tap the screen in the edge margin or swipe - I tend to swipe because it's a bit more consistent.

It's an intuitive app, and makes keeping your music in one place a breeze. In the 4ish years I've been using it, I've never had a major mishap where I lost music or it didn't work correctly. There were a couple of times where a chart hung between pages after I did a swipe, but that seems to have been an isolated issue that only happened on a couple of gigs, and it may have been something going on with the screen rather than the app itself because it hasn't happened in a while.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    ForScore is also good for storing music. You don't need to scan it, just take a picture of it. I also like Maestro XL as. Metronome. It beats like a Conductor should and can be viewed from both perspectives, i.e. As a performer or the conductor.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Chordbot. .. Available for i Things and Android. Easy to use chordy sequencer app.
    Great to generate a backing track, composition tool, practice aid.
    One of my favorite apps, use it almost every day.

And iReal book. Work the less than 10 bucks price. Indispensable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  7. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    I already have the metronome app listed there on my iphone, and I have a chromatic tuner already, too. I don't need any of the other apps. But that's just me. Everyone is different. The ones listed there do work well from what I have gathered so far.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use the Steinway metronome, Cleartune Tuner and XPiano keyboard.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Depending on what you want for a metronome/click, if you want something a bit more complex and with more abilities, look for a metronome geared for drummers. I have one that is aptly named "Drummer's Metronome" that is fairly capable - it allows you to divide, subdivide, do triplets, create playlists and that kind of thing. I have another one called "Tempo" that is similar - comes in handy if you are a drummer who plays to a click and you have a way to line it in to your in-ears monitors, which I do.