Music Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hello Folks,
    I would like some reccomendations on some good reading in the feild of trumpet and/or pedagogy. "Must have" type books for a personal library. Things along the lines of "Science of Breath," " Song and Wind," etc. Thanks.

Tim

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tim,
    if you are married, you are endangered species as a trumpet player!

Dr. Laura: The Proper Care & Feeding of Marriage

It can kep you out of trouble when you are especially "creative"!

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Tim,

David Hickman's 'Trumpet Pedagogy' gives a wonderful overview of different approaches in teaching trumpet. Even if you're not a teacher it's a fantastic resource.

Kristian Steenstrup's 'Teaching Brass' is also a great book very much along the lines of 'Song and Wind' (He studied with Jacobs).

Regards,

Trevor

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Rowuk,
    I'm sorry man, I don't understand your comments... And no, I'm not married. Thanks to all for your input, anyone else out there want to chime in? Take care, keep blowin'.

Tim

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    In Concert with the Boston Symphony is an incredible look into how an orchestra functions (or doesn't function...)

Although more of a practice method, Hindemith's Elementary Training for Musicians is a great resource for basic and advanced musicianship. This would be a great resource for someone teaching a general musicianship course.

Not exactly a music book, but Arnold: The Educator of a Body Builder proved to be very helpful to a couple of friends of mine who were getting ready for professional auditions. It's great for getting you into the ultra-competitive mentality you need for auditions. Well, maybe not you, but they both won full time gigs...

Also, Lasting Change for Trumpeters is an awesome resource for the teachings of Arnold Jacobs, geared particularly towards trumpeters.

Also, they're hard to find, but a couple of years ago Monette put out a nice 30 or 40 page book, of which a portion was dedicated to proper body alignment while playing. Definitely worth checking out if you can.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bear,
    the divorce rate among musicians is not exactly low, and is often caused because we are too busy with ourselves............. That also holds true for just about any close relationships (except the one with our horn).............
    Knowledge is power and a stable and productive environment at home makes our creativity also more secure!

7. Paul Gorman

Paul Gorman New Friend

Jun 30, 2007
    Bahrain
    Tim,
    Try The Trumpet - its, practice and performance by Howard Snell.

8. Trombadave

Trombadave New Friend

Jan 18, 2007
    I second the Hickman book. You may also want to check out "The Art of Trumpet Playing" by Keith Johnson.

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006

My Hickman Pedogogy book showed up two nights ago along with 5 or 6 method books. It is amazing what is in the Hickman.

10. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    I think he was looking for trumpet pedagogy books specifically. Did you lose something in the translation?