Music Community in Denton, TX

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Nov 20, 2015.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    So, I'm thinking of going to graduate school after all. I know the new professor down at UNT and he is encouraging me to audition. Strange how things change. Anyway, I would like some people who have been there to tell me of their experiences. More specifically in the community at large. For example, I have heard that there are more than enough trumpet students to go around, so you can find work pretty easily. Also, is it cutthroat competitive, or are the people pretty friendly toward each other?

2. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    I know a Saxophonist who's a freshman there, he's majoring in Jazz Studies there, I'll ask him when I have more time and am not using my computer after I've finished one of my five tests for today. (as apparently the day before a break means have as many tests as possible)

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Isn't this self-contradictory? ;-)

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I don't see how that is. My friend is there. His wife teaches a huge number of cello students, something like 40-50 students. From what people tell me, there are a lot of students wanting to study music.

5. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ah, you say tomaayto and I say tomaahto.

I interpreted "students" to mean university students, and in that context, more university students (since you would also be one) would not be a good thing if you're competing for jobs.

As Judge Judy says, "Now that we understand each other" :D, if you're intending to pick up a lot of private trumpet students, you might want to know that in some of the Texas metropolises, the school systems provide private lessons to band students free of charge. If you are going to Denton and if you are counting on that money, this is something you might want to check on first.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think I would audition and see how things turn out --- if you end up in graduate school, you can worry about teaching, or having a band, or whatever it is you need to do to find extra money. The important thing in life, is to do what makes you happy -- and if that is graduate school in music -- THEN JUST DO IT. ----------- the one thing I found in 50 years of life (money comes and money goes) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- but actually pursuing your dream is often a moment in time where you have the opportunity to seize that moment

7. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I graduated at UNT in 2005. (biology not music). LOVED hearing the musicians practicing outdoors during the summer. Amazing talent.

8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I could give you a TON of information about Denton and the school. Went there six years, 1st wifey is from Denton, son went the UNT, etc. Only problem is, it was so long ago, I'd be writing on clay tablets in cuneiform.

9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Who was the trumpet teacher then?

10. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Nebuchadrezzar II.

Sorry, you set it up. :D

John Haynie (and a handful of graduate assistants who are now well-known professors in their own right, like Leonard Candelaria, Ray Sasaki, etc.).