Music Education & Keeping Your Playing Up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    I am a teacher. You have your winter, spring, and summer breaks to play all you want. If you have a real passion for music then you should do it. Push them hard, and you will be rewarded beyond belief.

Here is a page that you should go to. Once there go to the "Music Theory and Music Education" link. http://www.co-bw.com/Links CBAW.htm I will be adding a lot more over winter break, and I have a killer page that I am developing now that will blow your socks off if you are into the science of music/acoustics. Cruise my site and you will see that I am making it for the music/classroom educator.

Oh, and the money isn't that bad anymore. Could be better, but you do not go into education to get rich. Forget about what your friends say, and go for it. I actually play more now working as a teacher than I did as a software engineer. Finally, if you really want to make a positive difference in the world, then education is a good place to start. :D

2. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    I am a high school band director who has been teaching for 5 years. In that time I have managed to maintain my chops and an active playing schedule. I have even somehow managed to actually get better.

Annie--it can be done, but there is always a price. The price for me is that I literally have NO free time and virtually no social life. Between building/maintaining my program, practicing, rehearsals, etc. it's a full schedule.

It's all about what you're willing to do. I'm not saying that my way is the only way or even the right way--but for now it works. Just remember, if you want to teach, you won't be happy unless you are. You'll find a way to do both.

Julie

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only thing that you have to realize is that many orchestra have morning (10am) rehearsals during the week. If you are in a full time teaching position how can you justify taking off work for that. I don't think that one can balance being a full time teacher with being a full time performer. Yeah, you can do some gigs, but not the substantial ones.

Kevin

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I guess that is one advantage of living in a smaller city where most people have normal jobs as well as play. Our rehearsals are always in the evening or on weekends. Over half of the symphony string section here are ringers we bring in from Dallas and Houston. That means weekends, but it also means we can have "real jobs". (I hate it when I say that -- it sounds like playing is not a real job and nothing could be further from the truth.)