Music for College Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Oh, you mean any hymnal? I thought you were referring to a certain book called "Hymnal," and I didn't know what you were talking about. Thanks

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    something else to think about, When I auditioned for VCU back in 99, I went in and nailed my scales, played my audition piece as well as I could for being nervous as hell and played the sight reading fairly well. They told me I did a great job they enjoyed the audition... then they said "we have one more piece for you, do you know my country tis of thee?"... Of course I know how the song goes, every american does... they said great... start on an A flat and play it for me... I froze and had no idea what to do!! I've never actually played the song, so how was I going to start on an A flat and figure it out... well I tried, I fumbled through it, making lots of mistakes and searching for notes... when I was done, they said "that was great, we just wanted to check your aural skills, you knew when the note you were playing was wrong and that is great. You're in." I couldn't believe it! Anyway, the point to this overly long post is, go in expecting the unexpected. Don't get so wrapped up in your prepared piece being perfect that you forget how to be musical... you are going in for a college audition, not the principal seat of the chicago symphony... they expect you to suck, your in high school.... ;) (that was just a little bad humor) Good luck with your audition, let us know how you do!!

Mike

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    hey, thanks. I appreciate it, and that's exactly how I hope my audition goes! I hope to get a new mouthpiece and horn before I try out, and I'm hoping to meet the trumpet guy soon. I know the horn will be a Strad (no question, it blew everything else away that I played), but I don't know about the mp. Thinking about a Wedge, or maybe a Monette. Anyone know how much a Monette costs and if Monette and Bach even work together?

BTW, I won't be auditioning too far away from where you did. I hope to be a proud alumnus of JMU!!!