music for D exam

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi,
    Here in NL we have music exams (not conservatory related) we can take. A, B, C, and D.
    In the past few years I have wanted to do my D exam, but I had to cancel it because the music I picked was just a bit too difficult to get high grades, and my playing was too inconsistent (making me doubt myself, especially with hard pieces on performances)
    I've tried Haydn, Arutunian, and some others. the problem is not that I can't play them, but just that I can't get it right sometimes (and that sometimes being too often to take it to the exam).

So... Does anyone know any suitable pieces?
    I need about 3 or 4 pieces
    at least one should be partly from memory (but considering I can play haydn entirely from memory, that won't be a problem)
    at least one should be with piano, CD, or orchestra playing with me
    at least one needs some lyrical stuff
    at least one needs some technical stuff

high notes are NOT a requirement (since that's the main reason I had to cancel, I'd rather have less high than more)

Any ideas?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You should state the difficulty required and the total time. Don't you have a curriculum or at least a suggestive list given in the exam papers?

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    no real total time. 4 minutes each is enough. Or 2 short ones, 2 long ones. They don't have to be all concert pieces either.
    The exam itself takes about 20 minutes. If that means that only half the pieces are played, so be it.
    I don't have any list or so... Guess that's why I picked pieces I liked off of youtube.

basically what I'm looking for is some pieces that are nice to listen to, but less difficult, and if possible require less range than Haydn and Arutunian concerto's.
    They don't have to be classical music either. One classical piece is enough.

Difficulty is LOWER than 1st year conservatory

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Dutch Guy,
    From what I read, you are facing a developmental decision.
    You are still in the "mechanical phase" of learning the piece which deals with getting all the notes and dynamics correct, right? As you now know, this is the part that usually sucks!! Its also the point where many people simply give up and find something else. Its also the point that separates the little dogs from the big dogs.
    The next step is making the piece part of you, making it musical in that you don't worry about the mechanics of the piece so much. I recommend that you listen to recordings of people that play the pieces really well and study how they make it music. Then get back in the saddle and make it happen.
    As for a different piece? Rollo Interior from St Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast. That'll pin the adjudicator's ears back!!

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You could look up the Gisondi book. A variety of Bach pieces transcribed for trumpet, some from the partitas and sonatas for solo violin. Even if that's not what you need, it's beautiful music. It's usually part of music schools libraries, publisher is McGinnis & Marx, NY.

The Cooper book has transcriptions of the cello suites for trumpet. Dunno if that's the level of difficulty you need to present but it might be worth a look.
    J.S. Bach Cello Suites Transcribed and Edited for Solo Trumpet - Sheet Music Plus

Cheers.

6. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think that Bach cello suites are a good idea. What I do know, that French repertoire embraces all kind of difficulties and durations. Andante and Scherzo by Jacques Barras is what comes to my mind, but if it is too easy just keep looking in that direction. Phil Smith has recorded a whole CD with contest solos Phil Smith - Trumpet which is a great resources to look for ideas. British composer Edward Gregson has written quite a few pieces for trumpet and cornet from beginners level up to a full concerto.

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    An idea for the lyrical "stuff" - The 2nd movement of the Flor Peeters Sonata is very nice and rather easy. If I was you, I would have a look at it.