Music Governor's School

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I don't know if any of you know what I am talking about, but I just got accepted into our state's Governor's School for Visual and Performing Arts. There were only about 5 trumpets statewide that were invited, so it is a huge honor! Anyway, the program is a month long, and I'm just a junior in high school, so I don't know what to expect. The longest I've been away from home is about a week. Not to sound like a wimp, but I don't really know what that will be like. I would like to ask anyone here if they have been to a program such as this and how they handled the schedule. I can't wait to go, but I really have no idea what to expect! Thanks for the help in advance.

Jazz9

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I think the best source of answers for your questions are the people who went in the past. If it is a big honor then your high school band director should know some of the people who have been there, and you could simply call them and ask as many questions as you want. I'm sure they will want to share their experiences with you as that would be fun for them to remember the good times they had when they attended.

Congratulations on your honor. Keep up the good work! Maybe someday when you are famous we can all say, "We knew him when he was a junior in high school!!!"

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't know the specific place but be prepared to play a lot
    aka more hours every day than you ever have
    Get the endurance and you should probably have a blast (I wish I could go to a band geek school...)

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, see my band director is new, and I am the first person to be admitted from our region of the state. Ever. I don't know who to ask because no one around here even knew it existed. I sure am trying to get my endurance up, though.

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My daughter went to Governor's School in Tennessee two years ago. It is a 5 week course. You live in the dorms on campus and go to classes and rehearsals just like you were a music major in college. She learned a ton from it, got to study with college profs from different schools, and had a blast. There was a LOT of playing. Also music theory, history, ear training, etc. She also made All State Band. The combination of those two things translated into a full scholarship to college.

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    What college did she get into? And what school did she go to participate in the program? Mine is a 4-week at the University of Richmond.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    She went to the Tennessee Governor's School for the Arts. It is a 5 week program on the campus of Middle Tennessee State Un. She was offered a full scholarship in Physics and one in Music at Tennessee Technological University. She chose to take the music and turned down the physics.

8. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    That's cool, I hope I can get a music scholarship, only at JMU!