Music help

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by JAM393, Oct 24, 2005.

1. JAM393

JAM393 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    I am just getting back into playing after several years. My church band needs a trumpet, however all they have for music is for the piano and guitar. The chord changes are shown and I have to work off of that?? I can't remember what the rule is for chord changes with Piano?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Joe

2. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Your chord changes will be a whole tone higher: see C7, think D7, etc.
    If it's church music, once you've been through it, chances are you'll be able to play the melodies by ear, eh?

Tom

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Playig the trumpet in church.

The gross majority of my trumpeting has been in church, playing from a hymn book or other arrangements which are for the piano/organ. I learned to transpose to play with a piano very early in my playing career. All that it takes is to play the score one note higher adding two sharps or subtracting two flats. If you practice this a bit you will soon be able to transpose on the fly.

OLDLOU>>

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Because you're just getting back into playing, I'll guess that you have a Bb trumpet. To play from the hymnal, transpose the treble cleft notes 2 half steps higher and add 2 sharps to the key signature. If the hymn is written in flatted signature all you do is subtract 2 flats. It's not as hard as it sounds and as oldlou said, soon you'll be transposing in the fly because these hymns are so familiar to you.

I, too, play in our church orchestra. PM me to other hints and tips!