Music in the Lower Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samej, Jun 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend me some music that stays almost entirely in the lower and middle register? It doesn't have to be especially hard (though it could be) but I'd rather not play the cheesy beginners tunes you seem to get in the learners books! A variety of genres would be good (jazz or any period of classical, or other..), nice and interesting tunes preferred, and books with a good quantity of music in would be nice.

By lower register I'm thinking up to F at the top of the staff, probably even lower than that, with most of the playing around and below the C/D in the middle.

Studies would be OK, so long as they are more at the melodic rather than technical end of the spectrum. If it's available free on the internet all the better!!

Thanks

James

2. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    Check out Scarlatti Suite by A. Scarlatti, some of the stuff should be ok for you. Also the Herring Studies and Conconne studies are fun for that.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

4. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Blue Monk only goes up to Eb in the staff :play::thumbsup:

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, James!

Do you know any brass band players? There is a book of hymn tunes that are used in brass bands, often as warm up pieces, and they are all very simple and melodic.

If you go to a church, you might be able to get an old damaged copy of your church's hymnal that could also work for you.

Just some quick thoughts...
    Guy Clark

6. dks4011

dks4011 New Friend

Jan 16, 2007
    Black Earth, Wisconsin
    Hey James,
    There is a smallish etude book by Bousquet that is great for fingers and never or almost never gets out of the staff. You can get the Bousquet by itself or with the St. Jacomes.

You know how the Characteristic studies are like a separate mini-book in the back of the Arbans? The Bousquet is a separate mini-book in the back of the St. Jacomes. (The Euro-version of the Arbans w/better duets.)
    Hope this helps.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are numerous threads here that recommend using the hymnal for this type of playing. The pieces are (mostly) lyrical and melodic, they don't go very high, some will be familiar (depending on your attendance), and - best of all - for every hymn, you have at least 4 tests of your sight reading ability (SATB parts). If you don't have access to one, there are Christian (or other) booksellers online where you can order one (the denomination shouldn't matter much).

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What about the 3rd Trumpet parts of many scores - could be what you seek. :dontknow:

9. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I love using; First Book of Practical Studies for Cornet and Trumpet by Robert Getchell. I still play from this book every day to develop my sound it starts with good melodic studies using the range middle c to c in the stave but it gradually adds notes to the top as the pieces become more difficult. what I like about it is that the progression is gradual every piece is a little bit harder that the last giving a good reasonable challenge to the beginner. Also it onlt cost me £5. (Best £5 I ever spent!)

10. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
    Hi everyone,

thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look into all of them.

I've got the Getchell Second book of studies. I remember last time I looked at it I saw the first page and thought they looked awfully tedious! But having just had another look there seem to be some more interesting etudes later on.

I'll see if I can get hold of a hymn book and I'll have a look at the other ideas.

I guess the situation is that any music intended to be a bit more difficult, at least in part makes it so by increasing the range required!

Thanks
    James