Music is not Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Mar 29, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Patric,

I think part of the problem is, you don't play music for a living. I'm sure all professional musicians wish what you say was the unadulterated truth... unfortunately common sense and and your ability to survive in the world come into play... those two things dictate that in order to survive in the modern "work place" as a professional musician, you are going to have to, at times, create music that you do not enjoy, in order to get paid... at that point, making, or playing, or creating music, no matter how much you love your horn, is probably not going to be any fun. You should pay close attention to what Wilmer and the others tell you. I know you eventually want to make music the center of your universe... I worry that if you go into with a bunch of idealistic thoughts that when it doesn't work out the way you hope, you will give up music and your horn all together.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    OK Here is the other side of the coin. I would love to here what Wilmer thinks of this. I'm semi professional and by my last post you know that I am aware of keeping the price up and not taking jobs for nothing.

I play with a community band. We are made up of semi pro players and some college musicians and teachers. You have to audition to get in and a chair will go empty before the band would let someone in that can't play the part.

I like to play in this band because the music is hard and it keeps me practising and a lot of the time the concerts come off played well.

Here is the dilemma;
    In the summer we play some outside concerts and use the money for rehearsal space and music. Every concert we play is one that the local union band can't and we play for less. We rehears the music and play it well. The union band is reading the fairly easy music. Who is putting on a better show?

Just something to think about.

As professional musicians, are we allowed to play for free for the community?

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    again read my posts and read them correctly. I NEVER said you should play and NEVER get paid. I never said anything like that. I said Being a profesional musician isn't Working, such as manual labor, because you love doing it. If you love doing what you do, why is it work? why is it a job? Why is it a CHORE that you ahve to do every day of your life? Its not, its one of the greatest parts of your life.

4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Who's to say you can't love manual labor? My uncle is a mechanic and he loves every moment of it....
    Now that I think of it, he's a bit of a geek about it. :dontknow:

5. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    First off I will never stop playing music... EVER. If all I have is my horn and me, and i'm on a street corner, I can perform there, for food, for money, for attention, for whatever I want. Music will always be there for me, as I will always be there for it.
    Second, I never said Playing music is always easy. Of course your gonna get stiffed, your gonna not get paid, your gonna get paid alot, your gonna have a long string of gigs, your not gonna have any gigs. Its up and down, and when you choose to be a musician, you know that path, and you prepare steadily for it. You make sure that before you go out on your "journey" as a pro. musician, you are mentally, physically, and emotionally prepared for whatever happens. Because you could end up on a street corner, but you'll still have your music.
    And Third, if you plan on going out to do JUST music, you better be damn good at what you do. If you plan to just go out there with hopes and dreams, you'll never end up where you want to be. If you really love playing though, practicing is no big deal, is a part of everyday life. Hopefully you've practiced enough to know exaclty how good you are, and exactly what you can accomplish by being a musician. If your not as good as you want to be, Get a day job and do that, but don't ever EVER quit your music. You'll eventually get there.

Now are you guys telling me that Playing music is the exact same boring droning job where you go to an office everyday, same place, same time, same spreadsheats. I dont think so. Being a musician your filled with more riches that money can provide you. Your going to meet new people, see new places, do new things, eat new food, play your heart of for milions of adoring fans. Your telling me you would be happier with Millions of dollars in riches than that? well then.. I think some of you have become way to attached to the Gotta Run aspect of america.

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I think I finally understand where Patric is coming from... If you love what you are doing (playing trumpet, laying brick, flying airplanes) then you don't feel like you are working, because you love what you do... I think what everyone else is getting at is even if you are doing what you love for a living, at some point it becomes work. There are going to be days that you don't want to be there, but you have to... that is work. There are going to be times that you are doing what you love, but not under the circumstances you love...that makes it work. If I'm totally off on both accounts I apologize, but that is what I get out of the last 4 pages of commentary.

7. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Well you need a definition of manual labor. My definition is Yard work, back breaking pulling weeds, shoveling, rotatiling, lifting boxes, building great walls of china for hours. real backbreakign stuff

I know what your talkign about with your uncle. I'm going to school to be amechanic right now. and I'm lovign every moment of it.

8. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I think you nailed it right on the head.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Check your last paragraph. no one say anything of the sort.
    Our worlds are different.
    Wilmer

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Whew hoo... I finally got something right!! :lol:

I truely hope that you all get to do what you want when you want and get paid well for it... and when you figure it out, don't be stingy and share the secret with the rest of us!!