Music Major

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by holyjunk, Mar 2, 2008.

1. holyjunk

holyjunk New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
    Ok I have a question I need help on and I am hoping you guys can help me :) I know I am going to most likely major in music in college. Something with performance but I don't know if that will be jazz or orchestra wise. Now should I minor in something?? I am taking many computer classes right now like comp programming I, II, and C++ cause I know if not music my career will deal with something computers. I am just trying to get my feet wet here so I know what I am doing come senior year of high school. (sophomore now) Can someone point me to info on majors or minors dealing with music and computer related fields. With the computer part I am kinda looking into something audio to go along with my trumpet playing, but I am not for sure. THANKS! sorry bout long post. haha

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I know quite a few Integrated Technology people who were music majors.
    They fix computers, hook them up in networks and load software.

3. holyjunk

holyjunk New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
    And they still play? I mean if that is a full time job ya know? I want to dedicate to trumpet playing pretty much but idk.. much yet haha

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

There are NO jobs in high-tech. Go ahead and get your music degree. Teach, play on the street, gigs, at farmer's markets and birthdays, and you'll do better than any techie.

6. holyjunk

holyjunk New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
  7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

:-o
    I will submit I am rather confused by this post. The tuba player who occasionally plays with our orchestra is in charge of fixing computers at his company, and if my school is any indication, people with solid knowledge of computers are always useful
    Working with computers is going to be incredibly useful, with the way everything is becoming more computer-oriented now

8. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA
    Since you are taking computer science courses, why not go for a music technology degree. Currently I am a music education major as well as a music technology major. If I were you, I would definitely get a minor if not a second major. It is hard to get jobs with a performance degree. Definitely get a music degree though, it will be totally worth it.

9. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA
    actually there are jobs in high tech that relate to music. It's called a music technology degree. Working in recording studios etc. There are a lot of places to put that degree to work.

10. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Here is a link that Trentaustin originally posted. It's a great interview by our own Ed Carroll talking about what it takes to be a musician. It's definitely something you should view.

Being a Successful Musician - ArtistshouseMusic