Music Notation Software

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Sep 19, 2008.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I am going to be purchasing a new home computer. I would like to start writing music on the computer(if my wife will give me some hard drive space). I want to compose some contrapuntal pieces as well as arrange some music for a variety of ensembles(2 to 5 instruments). My budget is between $80 - $150 on the software.
    What are good music notation software packages in this price range?
    Thank you.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'm not sure how much finale costs, but its a pretty good package,
    I use sibelius which i think costs around the upper end of that range

3. lushcot714

lushcot714 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    San Juan, PR
    Greetings:

I had been using Finale for some years now and I don't think I'm going to change it to anything else any time soon. It is flexible and gives you so many options that you will be amazed. Specialy with the save as audio option, you can save as WAV and then mix everithing. Try the Finale notebook option it is compatible with te current finale versions and it is in yor budget range. i believe will be a great headstart. You can also check the following web sites: www.gvox.com; Finale Music Composing & Notation Software and Sibelius home page. Check what they offer and made your selection.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The hard part with notation software is scores for larger ensembles or lining the words and music on choral stuff. The cheaper programs get the words under the notes, it is just not a good read. I am still using Encore for Macintosh.

5. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you both for this great information. I am anxious to check thse programs.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I use Capella. It has a cool "mouse piano" that makes data entry easy. Check it out at
    capella

7. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Capella looks very good - I checked out the product website. It's a little out of my budget range but definitely a great product.
    Thank you for the information.

8. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Don't forget Finale notepad. It is free (at present at least). Although it doesn't have a lot of needed features it is a good way to start with music software so you see how far you want to go.
    NotePad

9. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I use the free version of Finale Notepad and find it to be very useful. Right now it's all I need.

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    With that budget you wont be able to get much other then maybe Finale Notepad (last I priced they were all in the 300-500 range) I would get Sibelius if I had the cash to