Music room

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by slantws, Dec 11, 2012.

1. slantws

slantws Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hello,
    I'd like some opinions about the best flooring in a music room. I've converted my relatively unused formal living to my music room. I have my collection of trumpets on display there, a baby grand piano, disc player, books, music stands, etc. It's a typical Northwest room, with a wall of windows floor to ceiling, sunken floor currently carpeted, and cathedral ceiling about 16 foot at the center. The room is about 35 by 25 in size. I plan to replace the current carpet and am wondering if I should stick with carpet, hardwood flooring, laminate flooring, or some other choice. What would be best in terms of acoustics? Any opinion appreciated. Jerry.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For optimums of acoustics one is at the other end of a horn listening. My first thought is those windows are killers of optimum acoustics. Next, I'd factor in the insulation values of the walls, ceiling and floor beneath the rug. Then I'd consider the HVAC systems serving the room. All that said, I'd go for a cork flooring surface.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the idea of carpet, although cork is a great surface. The windows are great to play into from a few feet away, because we can hear every bit of buzz and crackle in our sound. I would suggest some heavy drapes for the windows. I found that the less appealing the acoustics the better for me. My first house in Germany had a living room with dead acoustics, and discovered if I could sound good in there, I sounded great in a concert hall or church.

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In my livingroom I have ceramic tile and I have 20 ft high ceilings and two walls of windows (double paned). The acoustics are awesome in there and my wife and kids hate it when I practice in there. Sounds like a concert hall with lots of echo effects. If you want the studio acoustics where you want to eliminate the feedback from from all the bouncing sounds. The heavy drapes, rug and cork floors are the option to go. They absorb the sound pretty good. Also, there are some decorative paneling you can put up on your wall to acousticly seal it from the concert effects. If you plan on recording your music room, sound absorbant materials is what you want. For best feedback and live sound, tile or hard flooring is your option.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    In terms of acoustics, it's hard to beat hardwood floors. That's what I have in the Turtle Shed, and what you see in most commercial recording studios, often with some of the floor covered with area rugs. That usually produces a warm sound that's good for recording.

Turtle

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I'm with Vulgano when it comes to reverberation in a room. Echo hides many flaws. Though, I asked my dad (apparently was a big name in this kind of stuff) and he said go hardwood.

FWIW, in my old house, I claimed a walk in closet, covered the walls with Wendy's drink holders and stuck a chair, stand and fan in it as my "music room".

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Spot on here. I record everything as dry as possible so that I can add if I want to. He's right; if you're looking to improve, go naked!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm with Turtle. Hardwood floors are great. The BEST accustic night club our quintet plays has hardwood floors, brick walls, and a great single malt.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What does Vulgano Brother know? He only has 6,392 posts!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I prefer opposing walls to have opposing acoustic treatment -LEDE (live end dead end). A hard ceiling gets a thick rug on the floor, a wall with windows gets a bookshelf on the other side. That way you have the best of all worlds - play from the dead into the live end when things aren't optimal and the other way around when you feel good. This concept also works for good hifi reproduction too - the speakers go to the dead end and your ears to the live end.