Music stands for tall guys?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'm 6'4" and a standard manhasset stand only comes up to my chest. Since I tend to hold my horn straight out this causes problems seeing the music.

Are there taller stands out there? All the ones at the music store are no better, and the folding stands we use in the polka band are even worse.

2. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks! I'll have to pick one up.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm 6'8"... I want one...

5. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I'm only 6'0", but when I play standing, I actually have the music stand pushed most of the way down, fairly far in front of me and off to one side. This allows me to see the music AND the audience. It bugs me (personally) when I'm watching a player and all I can see is his music stand obscuring his entire upper body. I've seen a few recitals at school where this was the case and I think it robs one of a connection with their audience.

Food for thought...

Stuart

6. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Manhasset makes great stands!! I highly recommend them.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Once I gave a talk, and the podium was built for an average height person, with a flexible mic stand. Lame, I had to bend over the entire time, to talk into the mic, and I couldn't turn and point to the projector.

Stupid average people with their Small Medium Large acrylic sweaters, working on an assembly line joining the union, what a bunch of cookie cutters....