Music store practice/tryout rooms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Dec 21, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I've noticed a number of posts lately from individuals trying out horns in stores indicating that they had a hard time really hearing the horn. In looking back to the last two stores I visited to play horns, one had a tryout room that was solid walls with a very, very, very high ceiling. To the unexperienced, all of the echoing would make one think the horn sounded fabulous -sort of like singing in the shower. To me, it seemed to be designed as a sales ploy -making young kids sound (in their own ears) far better than they actually sound. The other store that I visit doesn't have tryout rooms -you just play in the store -more of a "real" sound situation. Just curious if any of you had experienced shops where the tryout rooms were well designed and helpful -or places where they were essentially worthless.

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Most of the in-store try out rooms I've been in have been designed like practice rooms. They all had sound pads in them that sucked the sound up as soon as it left the horn.

I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of room. I like BIG open rooms! When it sounds like there are 15 other me's in the hall/room/sanctuary playing back to me is just super cool!

But I see your point...for a student, an echoing room would have a sales ploy effect....

Kujo

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    My go-to store has, at the rear of the complex, a performance room that will accommodate about 40 people - a great place to test play. It also makes it very convenient to have others listen and provide their opinions.

4. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Best practice rooms i have ever used were at Woodwind-Brasswind in Southbend IN... Nice regular rooms, (about the size of a bedroom) but in the corner was a rack mount recording setup... You could press record, play whatever, and then play it back thru the studio monitors.... That was awesome.... Its a shame that the retail store closed down last year.... They still ship out of there though....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    yeah!!!

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Jon Baltimores music off Times Square has a lot of vintage horns and a regular room off to the side with a door and a window and 3 old padded chairs for guests. The unusal thing is.....it has an ash tray full of smoldering buts and has that faint spilled bourbon smell. So fire up ...crack the window....and play for the New Yorkers. The sax player and I talked a lot of jazz in that " practice " room when I played there last March. If you are under 21 or otherwise despise smoking and drinking while playing, IGNORE this post.

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Dillon in Woodbridge, NJ has a nice big room (where they hang up their used trombones) that sounds pretty tight, and a few small rooms that I haven't used yet.