Music Terminology 101

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 11, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey all:

I'm a comebacker as I've indicated in many posts. I thought I'd post this weblink I found when searching for the term Tacet.

I did not have the benefit of continuing education so I never played my Trumpet past high school. I had no recollection of ever encountering this term prior to last Monday night.

We were playing John Phillip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever March preparing for an upcoming concert and the Conductor told all us Trumpets to mark a section of the music Tacet. Well we did...

Next thing I know were reading through the piece and we get to that section. I come out guns a blazing as the music is marked and the conductor stops and asks me what I'm doing.

Needless to say I was a bit embarrased having played an unauthorized section solo in a spot we just agreed to not play; Of course I was not aware that this is what I agreed to and no one in my section bothered to point that out to me.

I think it was have a little fun with the "Yankee" day or something I'm not sure.

Anyway great musical term reference site:

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/

Enjoy, those of us who need it anyway!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Obviously, you confused tacet with "Take it!"

Here's a little story that'll make you feel better:

I used to conduct a community band here in town many years ago. We were playing a transcription (yes, I played A LOT of transcriptions with them) of the overture to Candide and we got to the Grand Pause which is marked "G.P.". Somebody came in wrong and I explained that it means no one plays in that measure.

The tuba player raised his hand and told a story about a timpanist in band he once played in who was not up on his musicological terms, even the more obvious ones. The timpanist asked the tubist what GP meant in the particular piece they were playing. "Oh, that means 'Grand Pound'. It's a special mark for timpani. When we get to that measure, pick a drum and hit it for all you're worth. It's a tradition."

Well, it was a grand pound, all right. The word is the conductor still hasn't recovered from the shock.

ML

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That is beyond funny Manny.... Thanks for the laugh! ROFL

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I had to laugh at that one, Manny. That is really funny.

We were doing the Polka from Schwanda the Bagpiper in our past concert with winds, and I was on flugel. It was our first rehearsal on the piece. Never having played the piece before, I was unaware of the G.P. at the end before the fermata. It was not indicated in my part, either. So we get to the end, I was not watching (yeah, I know, my own fault then), and I layed out the biggest, fattest clam on a 2nd line G you ever heard. You could sell that thing on the Long Island shore for chowder. Right in the dead silence. I think it's still reverberating over there.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    All of you....thanks for the gut-busting chuckles!

ROFL

John, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in your rehearsal. I can just imagine you proudly playing away........ :D

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    John,

I was playing on a Pops concert and our Principal player was not able to play the show. The guy that played second in the orchestra was an amazing all around player (studied with Allan Dean at Yale) and was a fantastic jazz soloist. We were sharing the concert with a Jazz choir and they were doing a Duke Ellington Medley with us.

During the first rehearsal we got to a section that was “tacet†for the trumpets and he leaned over to me and said, “What’s that say? Take It?†He started playing over the changes and shocked the conductor. She realized how great he sounded and said, “Leave that INâ€. I’ll never forget that show!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Let's just say I wasn't holding anything back the section was marked fff with the "houses" over each note..

I pulled out the air hammer and went to it!

I'm sure what you pictured was accurate. :D

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ML wrote:
    I take it YOU are the still shocked conductor?

-cw-

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Derek,

This is just too funny! The fact that it worked out better then expected is even more priceless!

Thanks for sharing.. I feel better knowing that more accomplished players have been stung by this stupid thing.

Why can't they just simply say "Don't play"

Yikes.... :bash:

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Now what's the fun in that!? :D

The phrase I see the greatest number of misses on is "con sordino". We're so used to seeing "straight mute", or "muted" that it's virtually guaranteed to bring a miss from someone in the section on the first read-through.

(Then there was the day that the conductor stopped the band, looked at percussion, and said "I'm conducting this in three".... to which percussion replied "well I'm playing it in two"!.....one of those 6/8 things where different sections are playing contrasting patterns.... it got quite a laugh)