Music Terminology 101

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 11, 2006.

1. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    I love the Gatti book and duets. You get a ton of italian terms that you seldom see.
    funebre, spirando,anche piu cupo di prima,etc.
    They're great for students because they can be so theatrical and operatic. Nearly every student that gets them starts talking about the Godfather movies. :cool:

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Cool stuff I'll have to look them up...

Having an Italian hertigate on my mom's side this would appeal to me... :cool:

3. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    The Gatti grand method was out of print, but I think it's back. The duets never went out of print , and are just wonderful- classics.

My old teacher, Ron Modell, got me playing those, and I have loved them since then.

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for the post....

I'll have to look them up for sure.

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    con sordino

Any earlier post mentioned canned sardines and reminded me of the following true story:
    In my community band, a young woman sitting next to me in the section saw the con sordino notation in the music and asked what that meant. I helpfully instructed her that it meant to use the straight mute, then proceeded to pull her leg by stating the the original straight mutes were hand made out of old sardine cans and wine bottle corks. I managed to do this with a totally straight face and with such ease that she believed me, until everyone in the section within earshot errupted with laughter.

What a fond memory. Now several years later she (as well as my children) think twice about believing anything I say.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's funny indeed....

Music... It's an interesting language!

I'm going to have to remember that canned sardines for future use! :twisted: