Music written in C for trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 4, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have learned the trumpet by reading piano sheet music for C instruments.

I am very happy with being able to read lead sheets as such, so that I can read the music my wife likes to play on violin, flute, vocals, guzheng, etc...

However the music isn't written for trumpet, but all the trumpet music is written in Bb for Bb instruments.

I would like to get a Bop/Jazz duet book, but so far the ones I have seen have either been for two Bb instruments or two C instruments, and the C instruments were flute, and not very accessible.

So my question is, is there a C duet book that would be suitable for trumpet and a C instrument such as flute or violin preferaly in a Jazz/Bop genre?

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Get a Bb book (or any other key for that matter) and work on transposition. ;)

3. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Check halleonard.com Hal Leonard Online
    Find a book you like for trumpet and buy the same book for C instruments and it will be transposed for you. Just play the notes in your book and it'll fit. And you'll have a backing track to go along with. A local music store can order music with the transposed parts also.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I have their "Real" book, I will look to see if they have a duets book too?

Thanks,

Robin

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    What is the difference between the trumpet, clarinet, and flute versions? of the flute duets?

I am inclined to get the flute version, but am hesitant that it is written out of range, and I am also wondering what is the difference between the clarinet and trumpet versions.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes, the flute version will definitely be out of range. The clarinet version may work. I have some clarinet books that I use for practise. There are about 50 solos in the book and only a half-dozen are too high for me (the highest note I see is high E - I can't play that with any solidarity but maybe you can).

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    You can use duets written for Bb trumpets, and play them like they are C parts.

If you were to take this approach, for trumpet and flute the challenge would be to find duets where one of the parts doesn't go below C (or B, depending on the foot). For trumpet and violin, the lowest note on the violin is G below middle C, and the lowest note typically found in trumpet music is only a half-step lower, so most trumpet duets would be playable for a concert-pitch-trumpet/violin duet.

8. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
  9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Yes the clarinet is a Bb instrument. Just like a trumpet it will transpose 2 half steps up to be in the correct Key with a C instrument. The flute, guitar, and piano among others are C instruments.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby