Musical Genes: Distributed Computing Game!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Yoder, May 15, 2005.

1. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Below is a description of protein folding and how the home user can help in this scientific research. I was a member of it when the Anthrax mailings took place. They immediately started some research on Anthrax and via distributed networking they were able to solve the problem in a couple of weeks--it would have taken years by convential methods. They are currently doing research on diabetes, cancer, etc. The work is out of Stanford University. I have set up a "team" called "MusicalGenes." I would encourage everyone to take advantage and help in the research. Here is how you get going, and the description is below.

Distributed Folding Home Page

Down Load Screen Saver Here

The program takes up minimum resources and is only active when your screen save would be. Once you down load it, then you need to right click on the folding icon (looks like a red gear) and click "configure." You need to click the "User" tab. There is a place for you to insert your name and our team number. Our team number is: 44480

The Stanford Introduction:

Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases

What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease.

What does [email protected] do? [email protected] is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

Results from [email protected]
    [email protected] exhibit
    Stanford BMI talk
    See Prof. Pande's lecture on [email protected] at Xerox PARC

How can you help? You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

2. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Surely, there is some interest out there regarding this stuff. Hell, make your screen saver do some work for a change, as it is they do nothing but consume power. If you read the information on protein folding it is pretty interesting.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Yoder...

I think you might be assuming too much. I, for one, really don't have more than just a very general idea what you're writing about. You refer to a few things in very general ways as though it was all common knowledge. If you could clue folks in a bit more it might help them determine whether they'd be interested in participating. You are asking them to download something of personally undetermined value onto their computers and I think they need a little more info than your past experiences with Anthrax.

ML

4. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    That is why I posted the link to the Stanford site, where they explain all. Most people are aware of the SETI screensaver where they are using personal computers as a distributed network to determine if there is extra-terresterial life out there. This program uses the same technology, only it is focused on protein folding and the curing of diseases, etc.

It is merely a screen saver that crunches data when on. Beats Bezeirs and Pipes!