Musical Resolutions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    What are your musical resolutions?

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    V7 to I.

(sorry...I had to do it)

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It's not sporting to grab low hanging fruit...

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No resolutions, per se, but I would definitely like to move a bit more toward the middle as a player and do some more classically oriented gigging this year. I did more "legit" playing in 2015 than I had done in years, and I'd like to continue with that a bit more. Who knows, I might even delve into getting my hands on a new horn or two - particularly an Eb/D trumpet.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Again, play more-acquire less!

6. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Spend less time online - play more!

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was pretty much absent from TM and trumpet playing for several months toward the end of 2015 for health and professional reasons, and recently came to appreciate how much I missed both. I am rapidly regaining what trumpeting facility I had lost and am resolved to be more consistent in both TM participation and trumpet playing in 2016.

An M.A. program that required a lot of time is now complete. I may look to expand my trumpeting activity in 2016, but am not yet ready to make this a resolution.

Jim

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Writing more jazz songs for my quintet. Just finished one on January 1st, called "A Taste of Brazil" - Man am I liking it (and this resolution thing)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I also will not resolve this is the year I get my Harrelson as I just cannot take another let down. It appears I have a lot longer to wait as I just heard Sounds7 has yet to receive his and his order was 6 months sooner than mine. Perhaps, just perhaps I will see my Harrelson in 2017.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's something else my son and I were talking about just last night. Due to how my gigging is structured, most of the time feeding the musician within is a distant second to basic execution of the material, mainly because it's a rare situation where I play any kind of gig where I'm really well-prepared and rehearsed. It isn't that I wouldn't want to be, but rather that the logistics of the situation don't really allow for it.

Case in point - Christmas Midnight Mass. It went VERY well all things considered, but the brass quartet I was playing with is not a group I play with regularly. They are musicians I associate with, but we're not a group. As for being well-rehearsed, we got a single rehearsal and in most cases, "rehearsing" was a single run-through to insure that there were no major train wrecks.

Another case in point - my main gig in the wedding band. It's nigh impossible to be truly well prepared for this gig because the book has over 500 written charts, and around 150 of which are boilerplate and stuff we see all the time. The trick here is to keep the reading chops fresh, and review known trouble spots where there might be a lick with an odd fingering. And this band doesn't rehearse. Ever. We roll in, play the charts, and that's that. It's always at a solid level, but it's not truly well-rehearsed.

Does that sound dumb?

So that's another goal for the year - get into some musical situations where things are polished to a higher level, and to be able to play more of things I want to play, rather than just gigging the things I have to play. The reason I mentioned my son is because he's at the opposite end of the spectrum as a musician - he's playing pretty much only what he wants to play, and he and his bandmates work and practice hard to make it tight. Then again, he really doesn't gig (yet, I hope!) so I'm the one bringing home the Benjamins, not him. :-)